1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Colonoscopy ... give me good vibes

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by jr/shotglass, Jul 7, 2024.

1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

It's been four years, I believe. And I wasn't planning on getting another. But I was sitting in my boss' office about a month ago, and she said, "You know, you don't ever want your grandkids' first thought of you being that you didn't care enough to make sure you stuck around."

So I'm having one Tuesday morning. I've been obsessing over it. Tell me why I shouldn't. My dad had colon cancer, so there's that. I feel fine, so there's that.

It just feels like the next two days are going to be hell, what with the prep and then the procedure, and then maybe another week of uneasiness if/when they pull polyps and check them.

LIke I said, talk me down. Feel free to tell me I'm being a snowflake, even.

Neutral Corner and Liut like this.
  2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

My maternal grandmother died of colon cancer, so I have had a colonoscopy every five years for many years now. Preparation is indeed awful, you are basically power washing your digestive tract. But the procedure itself isn't bad. They give you some of the best drugs ever. Afterwards, you will be sleepy and hungry. They'll tell you if you had polyps removed very quickly. If they did, then they'll be biopsied and you'll learn in a week. I've had multiple polyps removed, all benign. I'm not telling you it's a pleasant experience, because it isn't, but it's not horrible.

3. jr/shotglass

Oh, I've had it before, Michael. I'm betting it's even less invasive than it was the last time. It's the other stuff. I hate waiting for the other shoe to drop, or not drop.

4. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

It is better to know than to not know.
    Day 1 is bad, the rest isn't so bad.
    I've had several. Just do it.
    Make sure they do an endoscopy at the same time (scope down the throat to check stomach and upper intestines). Adds another few minutes to the procedure. You won't feel anything.

5. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

What did the doctors say four years ago about when you should return? If they said five years or more, you're probably OK. The good and bad thing about colon cancer is it's very slow-moving, so they build that into the equation when they plot your next visit. That said, b/c there are rarely symptoms until it's advanced, don't delude yourself into not going b/c you feel fine.

As for the prep, I haven't found it to be that bad. A good friend of mine who is a few years older than me puts it best: You know when you'll have to go. You won't shit yourself on the couch. And as Michael puts it, the drugs are great. You'll have the best nap of your life and it's only 45 minutes.

And as long as they are able to scrape the polyps, you'll probably be OK. It's when they're too big to take out that you've got a potential problem. Good luck and shit your brains out! :D

gingerbread and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  6. jr/shotglass

Yeah, they said five years or so. I'm holding onto that.

7. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I mentioned it on an earlier thread, but Mrs. W had one scheduled and cancelled the appointment a couple of times. She was about to put off another appointment when someone she was a Zoom with sternly told her not to postpone. Long story short, she had the procedure, they found a small tumor (the doctor called it Stage 1/2) and it was removed. She’s been cancer free for a couple of years but we never would have known if she kept postponing the appointments.

gingerbread likes this.
  8. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

The prep work for a colonoscopy is no fun at all; but once that is done, the rest is an easy glide-path back to "normalcy". It's an important diagnostic tool that really does not have a similarly reliable non-invasive alternative.

9. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

If possible, get the prep pills that you drink with water instead of that nasty liquid.

And as others have said, no worries — once you get to the procedure it’s smooth sailing. Hope you get a clean result.

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  10. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

Excellent point here. My first prep was liquid and my second prep was just guzzling a whole bunch of pills. The latter was a much more pleasurable experience, as far as these things go.

outofplace and I Should Coco like this.
  11. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Funny this is coming up now. I’m getting my first one a week from Monday.

I have a ton of shit to do on Saturday and Sunday, though. Is it a pipe dream that I’ll be able to do all of it? I thought the prep started at 5 pm on Sunday night.

12. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

Saturday should be fine. Sunday will be a tossup at best. I've never had anything solid on the day leading up to a colonoscopy. Some people have an early breakfast and then fast. Most of the prep should be in the late afternoon/early evening hours, so how much you get done before that depends on how you handle operating w/o food. I almost never have breakfast anyway, so I'm used to functioning well into a day w/o eating.

MisterCreosote likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted