1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Coming soon: the NFL's D.C. Cabs?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Big Circus, Jun 18, 2014.

1. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

I am offended by OOP's repeated idiocy on this issue. Can something be done to stop it? Can we take away his birthday or something?

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Many days later and back-to-back posts and that is the best you can come up with? No wonder you need somebody to explain to you that bigotry is wrong.

3. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Sorry I didn't live on this site over the weekend. Now you have the reading comprehension issue. I said bigotry was wrong. Never said otherwise.

4. Hokie_pokie

Hokie_pokie Well-Known Member

Just wanted to chime in and say, "Game, set and match, Creosote."

And to add, anyone who thinks Daniel Snyder is fighting this fight for any other reason than to be a massive dickhead needs to wake up.

This is a guy who is used to having everything just the way he wants it. People kiss his ass and twist themselves into pretzels trying to please him. He has demonstrated on many occasions, for anyone who was paying attention, that he is a spoiled, mean-spirited piece of shit who doesn't care about anyone other than himself.

Snyder knows that changing the name is the right thing to do. He knows that whatever short-term financial hit he takes will be more than made up over the long haul in positive PR for himself and the franchise. But he's not gonna do it. He'll never give up the fight.

Know why: He just doesn't want to.

He's still that nerdy little kid wearing his Redskins belt buckle. He loves that fucking belt buckle, probably more than he loves his wife. If it offends anyone, well, that's just too bad.

Defend him at your peril.

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Oh, some folks here are always good for a good laugh.

A wise old man long ago said that only little people need to resort to name-calling. So whatever names you choose to use really doesn't bother me. I can count on one hand the number of people from this board whom I have ever met in person (none of whom have posted on this thread). People that know me, know me and they don't call names. So whose opinion carries more weight? Someone who knows you or someone whom you have never met?

It's amusing that whatever the initial thread topic, it often seems to turn into a personal pissing match between certain parties. And we all know which names are on the short list of those most likely to be involved.

Don't like someone or their views about life? Well, then maybe journalism isn't your thing, because you end up meeting all sorts of strange characters in the world in the process. I mean, are you really so naïve as to think everyone is going to agree with you on every single topic? ReallY?

So go ahead and call all the names you want if it makes your ego feel a little better. Heaven knows I've been called worse over the years. There are far worse things I'd rather be called than "racist". (Funny how those who claim to decry various slurs have no problem using such terms themselves.)

It's funny how some people will brand someone as something and that then somehow poisons everything they say or touch. We can be having a discussion about cars or politics or football or something totally unrelated. I may offer an opinion and immediately that opinion becomes "wrong" simply because someone doesn't want to think of themselves as agreeing with Mark, that terrible, horrible racist/homophobe/(insert slur here).

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

Seems to me that nobody gets branded around here unless they encourage it or bring it on themselves. Don't say racist or homophobic things if you don't want people to think you're a racist or a homophobe. Pretty simple.

And, for somebody who claims to not care about the opinions of those who don't like you and/or at least some of your remarks, you certainly don't have a problem regaling us with your own opinions, worthless as they may be. Guess it's a wash, eh?

7. You're the same dude who was offended that you had to interview a lesbian. At least you've been good about keeping quiet about some of your exploits as a journalist. Eyes up!

8. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

You don't know what the word "ignore" means.

9. SEC Guy

SEC Guy Member

How about the D.C. Putos

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

Better idea:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

It is an SportsJournalists.com-esque Appeal to Authority by Dickie's favorite journal of opinion,
    but here is a linguist on why the name is deeply offensive.

http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2014/06/a-linguist-on-why-redskin-is-racist-patent-overturned/373198/

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Actually, you argued that it is only wrong because the majority decided it is wrong. So by your thinking, any form of bigotry that has the approval of the majority would be just fine. Really, you should try to understand the words you are typing a little better before you click "post" next time.

Draft saved Draft deleted