1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Copy editor/designer in Hickory, NC

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by koolbreeze, Oct 30, 2008.

1. koolbreeze

koolbreeze Member

From journalismjobs.com

The Hickory Daily Record, an award-winning newspaper in design, content and sports coverage, has an immediate opening for a journalist eager to showcase talent in an innovative workplace. The ideal candidate should have a four-year college degree in the communications field, preferable in journalism. Hickory is in the foothills of North Carolina -an ideal place for people with active lifestyles -and the area is home to 15 high schools steeped in tradition, an NCAA Division II university, a NASCAR-sanctioned speedway, a Class A team of the Texas Rangers and many other types of sports.

Experience in Quark and Photoshop are pluses. Applicants must demonstrate strengths in grammar, spelling, copy editing, page layout and command of AP style. Recent graduates are encouraged to apply. Send a cover letter, resume and work samples to Sports Editor Chris Hobbs, Hickory Daily Record, P.O. Box 968, Hickory, NC 28603, or chobbs@hickoryrecord.com

2. goneup

goneup Member

Aaahhh. My wife's first employer out of college. She needed a translator on her first assignment. Years of marriage to me have since taught her the language.

3. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

Media General?

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Correct. But everything I've heard about Chris Hobbs has been good. I worked with a man who worked with him long before he started running the show in Hickory.

Plenty of high-school work in Catawba County, and the Hickory Crawdads in the summer. Not a bad spot in North Carolina, either. If MG doesn't foul this up, it can be a pretty good gig.

5. Do you get to interview the proud native son?

[​IMG]

6. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

It took them something like a year to fill their last opening, and come to think of it, I'm not sure they ever did. It was for a community sports editor, I believe.

Last couple of times I've seen the HDR, there's no writers on staff. All the reporting is done by Hobbs and a handful of stringers.

Hickory IS a nice little town, and you're not far from Charlotte or Winston-Salem, so you could certainly do worse. Pay will suck, but finding a decent apartment for well under $500/month won't be a problem.

7. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Chris is a good guy, very hard working. With that being said, the HDR is a sweatshop. Low pay and more work to do than hours in the day. Come think of it, though, that describes just about every shop. There are far worse places to live than Hickory.

8. prezclinton

prezclinton Active Member

Does Jimmy Chitwood still play for Hickory?
    [​IMG]

9. spud

spud Member

And I had juuust google image searched Reep. Bastard.

10. I really figured someone would have beaten me to it.
    He's a funny dude.

11. Editude

Editude Active Member

If by funny you mean, "It's funny how a guy not that good at standup is making a living at it."

12. Well, he makes me laugh. That's all I ask.

Draft saved Draft deleted