1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Copy editor(s), The Jakarta Globe

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by TrooperBari, Mar 7, 2013.

1. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

The Jakarta Globe is looking for two copy editors and one senior copy editor. If you're looking for a new challenge or want to try living abroad, here's your chance.

http://www.thejakartaglobe.com/pages/careers/

From an earlier thread on this paper: http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/86569/

2. gravehunter

gravehunter Member

Having recently worked for this paper, you can send me a private message if you have any questions about this gig, city and/or experience.

3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

What if I haven't recently worked for this paper?

4. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Gold.

5. TrooperBari

I can also answer questions, here or via PM, if people have them.

6. gravehunter

gravehunter Member

Then I guess you can apply

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

What percentage of the population speaks/reads English?

8. TrooperBari

I couldn't give you a precise figure off the top of my head. The Globe's target audience is basically English-capable Indonesians (upper-middle class and above) and expats in the country, and there's also a sizable Web readership overseas.

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I was sort of wondering about the whole assimilation factor and how widespread English is spoken/written. I once interviewed a basketball coach who coached a pro team in Korea for a year and said it drove him nuts because there weren't enough people for him to talk to.

10. If you want to assimilate, you probably should learn the local language. To be honest, you can only ssimilate so much. It's not like you can be Marcus Brody, and blend in and disappear. ;)

11. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

There is no lack of English speakers to talk to.

12. Giggity

Giggity Member

I can't speak directly to the Jakarta jobs, but I have worked in Asia. I'll say this - if you have any inclination at all to live abroad, take a shot.

Obviously it's a terrifying proposition on a lot of levels, but I've found it to be stimulating, life-affirming ... easily one of the best decisions I've ever made. Easily. And I came damn close to not doing it.

If you're on the fence, talk yourself into applying.

Draft saved Draft deleted