1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Credential beef for PGA Championship

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BurnsWhenIPee, Apr 26, 2022.

1. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Saw this on my Twitter feed and figured there's more to the story and some on here would have more knowledge.

Short version: Amanda Rose asks her followers for help and to pressure the PGA of America after she was denied credentials to the PGA Championship. Looks like some speak up on her behalf, while others either ask what outlet she's working for, or point out that she got fired from her "media" job, so she doesn't deserve credentials.

If she is just wanting to go as a "social media influencer" of some sort, she probably shouldn't be credentialed. At the same time, though, I've covered a few PGA Championships and seen some of the non-working media members who are there just as fanbois.

Thoughts?

SFIND likes this.
  2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I can't figure out what outlet she works for. I don't think they're just going to credential influencers or unattached journalists.

3. MeanGreenATO

MeanGreenATO Well-Known Member

Only thing I’ve learned from that thread is Golf Twitter is a place I don’t really understand.

SFIND and BurnsWhenIPee like this.
  4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

First thought that comes to mind after a quick glance at her timeline: Selfie overload.

SFIND likes this.
  5. BurnsWhenIPee

The thing that I keep coming back to is that if she's truly deserving of credentials, she should be able to contact the PGA of America, state her case and get it resolved.

If her best case involves running to Twitter to try and shame them into doing it, rallying her followers on her behalf while implying a gender discrimination situation, then she probably does not deserve to be credentialed.

That and the fact she doesn't apparently even work in the media and all.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

She lost me at LOL and the heart emoji. Wouldn't she be better off just tweeting off of the broadcast in any event? Isn't that pretty much what most golf journos do?

2muchcoffeeman and SFIND like this.
  7. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Who again?

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Plus, I'm old. What the hell is an "influencer?"

9. Noholesin1

Noholesin1 Active Member

I've worked with the PGA of America long enough to respect the legitimacy of its credentialing process.

playthrough, SFIND, HanSenSE and 2 others like this.
  10. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

“Followers do your thing” lol is this a Marisa Ingemi burner account?

SFIND, BurnsWhenIPee and Woody Long like this.
  11. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

214DB35B-1502-4A7A-BB24-3F11BB26BA97.jpeg

the snarky entitlement is really something.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2022
    SFIND and BurnsWhenIPee like this.
  12. BurnsWhenIPee

I love how she expected Twitter to rush to her defense and flood the PGA of America with hatred in her defense.

Yet there's a surprising amount of "Who are you working for?" and "Where would your coverage appear" questions, that she is conveniently ignoring. And her pinned tweet is a video of her and a caddie competing to see how many marshmallows they can fit in their mouths. Real compelling coverage there.

I've been told that she did the exact same thing when denied credentials for the PGA Championship a few years ago. She applied as an "analyst," but was unemployed and could only promise that her coverage would appear on her social media channels, so they denied her and she ran to Twitter to mobilize her followers to make a stink. The PGA backed down and credentialed her, so she's surely empowered now to try it again.

This shit is one reason the media gets a bad name.

Draft saved Draft deleted