1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Daily Journal (Indiana) seeks sports reporter

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by gravehunter, Nov 15, 2010.

1. gravehunter

gravehunter Member

The Daily Journal, an award-wining newspaper near Indianapolis, is seeking an energetic sports writer who has the drive and skills to handle a variety of beats, including high school, professional, college and recreational sports. Candidate should be able to produce strong, well-written in-depth sports features and enterprise pieces and daily stories. Looking for a leader who can run with stories and come up with original story ideas that connect with readers. Previous newspaper reporting and photography experience required. Our sports section is consistently named one of the best in Indiana and our newspaper was named the top paper in state. Send resume and clips to: rmorwick@dailyjournal.net. Phone: 317-736-2715

2. bsugrad

bsugrad New Member

How serious is this place about opportunities to cover college and professional sports? Anyone have insight/experience?

3. LevinTBlack

LevinTBlack Member

Good question. I would say if two Ball State grads don't know then it probably isn't all too serious. Could be wrong though. Just seems weird neither of us would know.

4. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

It appears the sports editor is doing columns on the Pacers and Colts. I don't know how much would filter down to the new hire.

5. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

The question is though, are they columns from the arena or from his couch?

6. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Hmmm, never heard of it before either. Then again, I don't hawkeye award ceremonies much.

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

It's in Franklin, Ind., in the south suburbs. That's the less moneyed part of the collar counties, but still pretty nice, especially the Center Grove area that's a few miles northwest of Franklin.

I believe that they mostly concentrate on those high schools, along with the Division III school in town which has a Top 25-caliber football program. But probably pretty tough to totally ignore the Colts in this era. Not sure about Indiana U. hoops and football.

8. LevinTBlack

LevinTBlack Member

The Div. III school is in a conference with schools around the state or just across the border. I went to Manchester College for a year before transferring to Ball State. They are in the conference, as is Anderson.

9. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

If the Colts were part of the position, it would be a win for anybody to cover that team (and quarterback).

10. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Would it be that fun just to cover a Colts game? By the looks of it, the paper just uses AP for a Colts game.

11. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

If it was part of your beat, then yes. Otherwise, it wouldn't be entirely bad to still cover a few Colts games a year if given the opportunity. If it's an AP-only type gig then it's different for sure.

12. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Covering a game only is not a beat. Nothing worse than a paper that sends reporters to pro games, but doesn't treat it as a beat. Having a reporter writing just on a pro team is worthless.

Draft saved Draft deleted