1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

DakStats...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Blake1288, Jan 11, 2011.

1. Blake1288

Blake1288 New Member

Anyone here use it? I'm gonna give it a test run tonight. I've been using the good ol' pen and paper for three years now and want to give something else a whirl.

Let me know, I attempted to use it watching the Pistons game a few days ago and had moderate success, at least I won't have to call-in stats I suppose...

2. MusicalSportswriter

MusicalSportswriter New Member

As a former basketball SID in the NAIA, I can say that I rather enjoyed DakStats, and never want to go back to pencil and paper. Now that I'm at an NCAA school, I now prefer (and have access to) StatCrew, but DakStats is very easy to learn if you have a decent grasp of computers and shortcut keys.

3. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

I understand wanting to get rid of pencil and paper. But it could be equally hard trying to run a computer stats program at a high school game by yourself. The action is just too fast paced.

That's why every college has at least a 4-6 person stat crew (some with just spotters).

4. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

like hank said, the computer can be a bigger pain than its worth. One college hoop team i cover the SID never sees anything on the court. He has an assistant on each side watching and telling him what happened.
    Same thing at football. one guy is at the computer, the other 4-6 are just yelling stuff out.
    I know one newspaper around here that does live webstats on the high school football games they cover. If they don't send two people to the game, the guy doing it is constantly asking others what happened. And if you miss a late penalty, forget about catching up.

Not worth it. Though I think you'd be fine for softball.

5. dakstatsnancy

dakstatsnancy New Member

If you're using DakStats Basketball for the first time, I would recommend using the Two-Click entry mode. It's quite easy to learn and use when you're statting a game. While we have had users run the software on their own, we do recommend that you have a spotter available, especially for instances where there are several putback attempts in a row.

If you have any DakStats related questions, please feel free to email dakstats@daktronics.com.

6. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Someone has Google Alerts set...

7. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

After using iScore for baseball and softball the last two years on my iphone, I started using the iscore app for basketball this winter.

it takes some getting used to, but I've found it very helpful, and I come away from games with not just individual scoring, but also rebounds, blocks, assists, and turnovers ...

8. dakstatsnancy

dakstatsnancy New Member

Haha Nope, someone linked the thread on Twitter, and, I'll admit, I do monitor references to DakStats on Twitter. Just trying to be helpful!

9. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

heck, just the fact that someone at dakstats got linked to this thread, opened an account specifically to respond moves them up a notch in my book.

10. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Pretty cool... someone also did that for a company called Ektron that I was inquiring about a few months ago. Kind of freaked me out at first.

Draft saved Draft deleted