1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Deadspin really stepped in it this time

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by motorsportwriter, Nov 30, 2023.

1. motorsportwriter

motorsportwriter New Member

Curious about everyone's take on Deadspin calling a five-year-old KC Chiefs fan a racist.

2. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I missed this one. Deadspin's only draw in its heyday was the replies to its posts, which were mostly just dead funny without political or social considerations. That is where we are at in the Roaring Twenties.

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

The kid doesn’t know but the parents sure are.

4. wheels89

wheels89 Active Member

5. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Carron Phillips is a one-note hack.

jr/shotglass likes this.
  6. Hot and Rickety

Hot and Rickety Active Member

It seems like the only time people pay attention to Deadspin 2.0 is when they make complete fools of themselves, which seems to happen more and more. Their normal daily content is ignored, but in their hamfisted, replacement-level attempt to emulate the edginess of the first version of the site, they'l occasionally fart out content that's just so easily mockable. Remember when they had the Rachel Nichols news and did nothing with it, but after the NYT broke that story, they wrote a completely self-owning story about how they shrugged off that scoop?

https://defector.com/the-current-version-of-deadspin-cant-even-eat-shit-correctly

7. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

Deadspin's tired angst did not age well as real world problems emerged, did it.

8. MeanGreenATO

MeanGreenATO Well-Known Member

I'll admit I enjoyed Deadspin and they did a really good job of building intriguing blogs that people enjoyed. There's a reason the Defector might be the industry standard when it comes to written content that drives revenue. ‘The last good website’

On a separate note, OP, do you think the Kansas City child's outfit isn't racist? That seems like a tough argument to make.

9. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

It's not blackface, at least.

10. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Calling a 5-year-old racist isn’t the hill I’d opt to die on, but I am kind of a weenie.

Liut likes this.
  11. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I can say with some confidence a five year old didn't do the makeup and headdress.

dixiehack likes this.
  12. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Obviously, his parents are the problem. Obviously. But it's his face you're flashing all over your website. You don't need to shit all over a fucking kindergartner to make the point that the Chiefs embrace and promote racist imagery and cheers.

Liut likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted