1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you have the Wheeling (W.Va) feeling?

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Oct 11, 2007.

1. From the Ogden job site.

Sports Editor

Are high school and college sports your passion? If so, The Intelligencer and Wheeling News-Register in Wheeling, W.Va., may have the opportunity for you, as our award-winning morning and afternoon newspapers seek a sports editor to lead a seven-person staff. Our primary focus is on local sports, as more than 40 high schools are located within our coverage area. We also cover local college sports, including West Virginia University football. The ideal candidate will look to take the sports department beyond the game stories and produce enterprise stories and compelling feature stories. We also stress more than just football, basketball and baseball, as many other sports are important to our readers. Wheeling is the second-largest newspaper market in West Virginia, and the ideal candidate will need a vision for fresh, bold ideas. Our Web site also is an important aspect of our operation, with timely, accurate updates of sports issues essential. Knowledge of Quark XPress and Photoshop a plus. To apply, submit a resume to:

The Intelligencer and Wheeling News-Register
    John McCabe
    1500 Main St.
    Wheeling , WV 26003
    mccabe@theintelligencer.net -- www.theintelligencer.net

Wheeling is the home base of the Ogden-Nutting newspaper empire.

2. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Pay will suck, probably topping out at a shade over $30k.

That's just a hunch.

3. In Cold Blood

In Cold Blood Member

But my guess would be cost of living probably isn't very high in W. Va. 30k in wheeling will go a lot farther than 30 in chicago or New york or most other places, I'd imagine.

4. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Well, of course.

But when you're managing a few people, even in Wheeling, you should be getting paid more than $30k.

5. Sportswriter2327

Sportswriter2327 New Member

Two newspapers? Do they cover the same towns or different? Is the sports editor responsible for putting each and every paper together or does he have paginators to help him out? Anybody have more info?

6. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

They cover the same towns. One is a morning paper, one is an afternoon paper. Wheeling still is industrialized, kind of, so there's still a market for an afternoon paper for the non-traditional shift people.

7. This is a big job.

Don Clegg, who had the job and is leaving to be a part-time PR guy at a small college (West Lib. or Wheeling Jesuit), was not only in charge of the two papers (he was the executive editor) he was responsbile for coordinating coverage of the half-dozen smaller papers owned by the Nuttings around Wheeling (Stubenenville, Weirton, East Liverpool, etc. etc.).
    That aspect of the job isn't mentioned in the ad, so maybe they are giving it to someone else??
    This is a bigger job and should easily be over 30K (I don't know, I'm guessing). I'm thinking closer to 35 or 37K.

Wheeling is more expensive to live than you think. Cheasper than Pittsburgh, yes, but still expensive.

I've heard the paper approached at least two former employees about the job and both turned them down cold. So maybe the pay scale is on the cheap side?

8. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Sam Amico, line 1?

I kid, I kid.

9. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I know a few years ago I was offered a job at the News-Register out of college, at $15K. I just couldn't do it. But they have the dog track and the slots on Wheeling Island to help suppliment the income. Problem is, you may have to buy one of the losing dogs to eat.

10. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

Clegg was responsible for coordinating Steubenville (etc.) coverage? I didn't know that. I was a freelancer there during off-time in college and I thought they did their own things. Maybe he was in charge of deciding who covers what when the towns' teams play each other.

Regardless, it's a crap job (pay wise) in a crap town (unless you're from, say, Weirton). That being said, you have good h.s. football, occasional good basketball, it's near Pittsburgh if you ever get a day off, and you could do good enterprise/special sections between preps, the West Virginia football state championships (at Wheeling Island), and WVU. Plus, table games are now being legalized in the state.

11. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

1. Do they do any non-wire coverage of the Pirates/Steelers?
    2. How coordinated are things with the Steubenville paper, which is (literally) right across the river?
    3. How does the content differ between the AM and PM paper? Separate desks put together each edition, one would presume?

12. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

1. I'm guessing no, never.
    2. Probably pretty well now. I worked there in the late 90s, and I think the Internet was far too costly at the time.
    3. I bet they both suck equally.

Draft saved Draft deleted