1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Education reporter, Bennington Banner, Bennington, VT

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by asamrov, May 20, 2009.

1. asamrov

asamrov New Member

There is an expected opening for an education reporter (and other assorted tasks) at my paper within the next two weeks, the Bennington Banner in Bennington, Vt. We're not advertising the position right away, we're trying to find someone through word of mouth first.
    The job's main beat is education. We have about 15 schools in our coverage area, including a couple in nearby New York that our N.Y. reporter does. The other part of the beat is covering some of the Northshire towns (Manchester, Dorset).

The Banner is an 8,000 circ 6-day a week (no Sunday) daily. We're owned by MediaNews Group, and we have sister papers in Pittsfield, Mass., North Adams, Mass., and Brattleboro, Vt.
    The pay isn't terrific, but Bennington, and the nearby areas into NY have a pretty low cost of living. It's a pretty nice area, and recreation for all four seasons is pretty close by, especially skiing in the winter.

The work week is usually Sunday-Thursday, but it may be Mon-Fri to start and then change after a couple of months so the new person can get used to the job. This is a good spot for someone just starting out or with a couple years experience. We really want someone who can hit the ground running.

This position also affords the opportunity to come up with some really good feature ideas related to the beat. It's a good way to get some killer clips for later on.

The benefits are pretty good. Health benefits, vision, dental, etc. kick in after three months. Vacation time is paid, two weeks after a year. Three or four personal days too.

For more information, since I've forgotten something :) e-mail me, Adam Samrov, the managing editor at asamrov@benningtonbanner.com or our executive editor, Jim Therrien, at jtherrien@benningtonbanner.com.

If you are on SJ and you send in your resume to the Banner, send me a PM. Thanks.

Draft saved Draft deleted