1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN looking for folks

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by JayFarrar, Jan 30, 2008.

1. Danny Noonan

Danny Noonan Member

Sounds more like you'll end up being ROASTED NUTS.

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I'm not sure how the rates are out there. I know I was offered a condo -- a nice one, if I remember correctly -- for $1,100 a month. I'm paying $727 a month for where I live now, and it's no condo. But that place was pretty close to the ESPN headquarters; the owner was leaving the network and wanted to pawn the house off on me and my buddy, should we have gotten the jobs in Network Integrations.

3. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I'd rather get a job with ESPN and have it be terrible and leave after six months then get offered the job and not take it. I'd wonder forever what it could have been.

But it probably won't even come to that. I will email them my resume and clips and they will send me some generic no reply email three months later.

4. eek!gannett!

eek!gannett! Guest

this is perfect for people trying to learn the game. if you arent getting used and abused at an early age, then you arent learning anything. i learned more by getting beat down my first two years than i have since.

5. that's the spirit!

6. earlyentry

earlyentry Member

Someone said Sports Network is hiring. Any links?

7. sportsnut

sportsnut Member

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&page=market/employment.htm
    Here you go.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

DON'T APPLY!!!!!

9. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Sports Network is that bad?

From my vantage point, it seems like as if it is a half-assed SportsTicker.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Having it on your resume helps a lot...

I know a kid who worked one of these jobs there and befriended Dan Patrick and a couple other bigger names while he was there. Patrick became one of his references and when the kid started applying elsewhere a few months later and when you have a big name reference like that, people take notice. Some don't, but a lot do...

To be perfectly honest, that's the only reason you take a job like this... To network...

11. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

terrible question alert: The 22k... is that for seven months? Or is that the pay if you were to have that position for a full year?

12. Larrbear

Larrbear Member

Since I'm in the midst of the program, I feel obligated to explain-

THe program is a 7 month trainee program for all aspects of production- producing highlights for sportscenter, writing shot sheets for talent, running the prompter....etc etc. etc.

22k is your pay for the trainee program- after 6 months the company decides whether or not to take you on full-time- if you get kept, you get a pay raise.

Obviously, this is not a writing gig. However, you do write up the shot sheets for the highlights you produce, and are encouraged (required) to pitch written story ideas that can substantially influence what ESPN airs if you can impress with your ideas.

Also, if you impress on this job, you can move within the company. As they say "once you are in the door, you are in." This isn't to say it's easy, but it's a big company with a lot of opportunity- you aren't stuck on the producer track.

That all being said, its a very demanding, yet very rewarding job. I've never worked harder or learned more in such a short span of time.

If anyone wants anymore specifics- feel free to PM me.

Draft saved Draft deleted