1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Evan Almighty

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by HejiraHenry, Jun 24, 2007.

1. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Anybody go to see this?

The early buzz on the opening weekend ticket sales is horrible ... and this is called the most expensive ($200M) comedy ever.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

The fact this is the first post about it late Saturday night of opening weekend indicates the buzz may be accurate...which is too bad, because it looks funny, Steve Carell always makes me laugh and it has Lauren Graham in it. LAUREN GRAHAM. I'd watch her read the phone book. Among other things.

3. wedgewood

wedgewood Member

I love Steve Carrell, but no way in freaking hell I'm going to see that pile of crap. One of those movies you can tell by the previews that it's gonna suck.

4. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

I'm a huge Carrell fan. Loved him on the Daily Show, have watched 40-year-old Virgin about a hundred times and still laugh hard at the man o lantern scene. I can't get enough of The Office.

All that said, this movie is going to suck - if only for the fact Wanda Sykes is in it.

5. I think it looks pretty funny and I'm sure I'll see it, but probably not in the theatre.
    How on EARTH do you spend that much money on a comedy?
    I know they used CGI and they had animals involved, but still, you've got to figure out a way to spend less than that or just pull the plug on the thing.

6. MilanWall

MilanWall Member

I saw it. It's okay. It's kind of a weird environmentalist/fundamentalist Christian comedy thing. Steve Carrell is at his funniest when he's not trying to be Jim Carrey, but this movie has him doing a lot of slapstick and that's just not his thing. Morgan Freeman is solid and has some interesting points, but the movie has a tendency to get preachy at times. I think it's being unfairly raked along the coals - it's not a great movie, but it's also not a complete waste of time.

7. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

And unfortunately, there are *too many* movies that fit into the "pile of crap" category. Bruce Almighty, even if it was another chance to watch Jim Carrey mug for the camera, was funny.

8. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Member

The previews made it seem like it was going to be horrrrrrrible. It seems like a strange choice for Steve Carrell. This seems like the perfect kind of movie to be ripped apart on an episode of "The Office".

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Evan Almighty = Steve Carell's first monster payday...

I didn't care for Bruce Almighty, which was funny for about 30 minutes and awful for the rest...

Why anyone would approve of a $200 million budget for any movie, much less a comedy is beyond me...

10. Maybe the movies isn't doing so hot because of the curse of Lauren Graham.
    Despite the fact that she is a good actress - I was an huge fan of the Gilmore Girls - her movies typically tank. See Bad Santa.
    Great on TV: Law and Order, Seinfeld and of course the Gilmore Girls

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Bad Santa was outstanding...

12. Danny Noonan

Danny Noonan Member

Good point. Also note she was in "Because I Said So" earlier this year, which was another bomb despite a cast that included Diane Keaton.

Draft saved Draft deleted