1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Experienced Sports Writer, Savannah, Ga.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Drip, Apr 15, 2015.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

We're looking for an experienced sports writer who's used to having beat responsibilities to succeed a staffer who's retiring after several decades with the Savannah (Ga.) Morning News. The position will require beat work as well as occasional desk shifts to cover for vacations, other instances when desk help is needed.

No decisions have been made on what beat will be assigned, but Savannah's sports coverage includes a range of subjects, from high school through major college football. And, of course, we're looking for someone with multi-platform skills who understands the urgency of the digital world as well as the traditional print format.

Please send a cover letter, resume and links to work samples to gale.baldwin@savannahnow.com.

2. busch

busch Member

Anyone know anything about this paper and/or this job?

3. slc10

slc10 Member

Owned by Morris. I am a native of Savannah, GA and read this paper for a long time. I was also a stringer back in the mid 90s. Trying to get an idea about the job. I am thinking of returning to keep the siblings in line. The sports editor has been at the Morning News a long time.

4. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

I can only assume the "staffer who's retiring after several decades" is either Tony Stastny, the SE, or Don Heath, who's been the Georgia Southern/colleges guy since the '80s.

5. MicahMcVicker

MicahMcVicker New Member

6. busch

busch Member

Did Don Heath travel for Georgia Southern football/basketball?

7. daytonadan1983

daytonadan1983 Well-Known Member

Tony's still there? Wow.

8. FinsFan

FinsFan New Member

Wonderful area. I would love this position if I thought it would pay well enough. I'm originally from Florida, so I already know about the heat, humidity, heat, real tea (sweet), heat, love of sports and heat.

9. nietsroob17

Don did travel with the football team, particularly in the program's I-AA heyday. He made limited travels with basketball. When the SMN staff was a bit larger, other writers would often cover the non-football sports at Southern.

10. nietsroob17

I interviewed for different job with the SMN about 7 years ago. While it's suffered some, it's still a strong product. And the entrance of its still new-ish HQ building is one of the most beautiful I've seen for a newsroom.

11. Pcotton

Pcotton New Member

Anybody hear any movement on this one?

12. busch

busch Member

I applied for this one but have heard nothing (other than they received my stuff). Obviously, I assume they have no interest in me. Anybody heard anything?

Draft saved Draft deleted