1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fantasy Baseball 2012 Advice Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by outofplace, Feb 15, 2012.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I think it'll make for an interesting storyline to follow this season. I don't know much about Braun's personality. I wonder if he's the type of player who will come out with a chip on his shoulder, pissed off and ready to stick the test and subsequent leak up everyone's ass or if he'll shrink under all the scrutiny.

You're right on Ruckus, I was just offering several reasons to be cautious about drafting Braun.

2. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I'll probably get 4 keepers out of the following candidates:

Braun, Reyes, Kinsler, Stanton, Bourne, Crawford, Hamels, Strassburg, Gallardo & Hanson.

Advice welcome, thanks.

3. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Braun, Reyes, Strasburg, Gallardo.

4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Does your league give you a spot to stash guys on the DL? Because if not, I'd be cautious about Reyes. He hit the DL twice last year and, after the first stint, he played very carefully to try to avoid a second. He's guaranteed to land on the DL at least once.

I've been reading about how people LOVE the way Stanton is playing, but you might be able to not waste keeper on him and just pick him up again later in the draft (I'm not really sure where he's going in drafts yet).

Hamels is in a walk year, right? I love guys in walk years.

5. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

SO I'm down to 6 for 4 spots, & that doesn't even include Kinsler. No one thinks he's a keeper?

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Yes, keep Kinsler. He's a batting average drag, but unless you've got Pedroia or Cano, you're not going to get anyone better.

Strasburg and Braun are no-brainers. I'd also keep Stanton, because there just aren't that many guys with 40-homer potential out there any more.

Keep Kinsler over Gallardo. Yovani's good, but not special.

You're throwing Reyes back, but to me he's much more of a risk than Braun, Stanton or even Kinsler. And with Braun and Kinsler got for 20-ish steals, you're not killing yourself in the one category in Reyes' best category.

And if you throw Strasburg back, you probably won't get the chance to own him again. Assuming he's healthy, he's dominant in three categories (Ks, WHIP, ERA) and probably four (wins) if the Nats keep improving.

7. Hell, I'll bite if there's a spot open.

PM the rosters, perhaps?

8. This is everything I was thinking, but much better stated.

Kinsler's eye has been improving too, which I think will eventually cash in for his batting average.

He and Braun are two balanced hitters with good pop and speed and Kinsler's average isn't that much of a killjoy. Add Stanton to the mix, and you've got a studly O-side for a while.

I'd go Strasburg as the fourth because strikeout pitchers like Gallardo and Hanson are easy to add (EVENTUALLY Brandon Morrow will be cash). Hamels is hard to drop, but even for a guy who loves proven talent like me, Strasburg's upside is too tantalizing.

9. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Yeah, keep Kinsler, who at 29 is about to exit his prime years. Good call.

And I love the guy who said Gallardo is nothing special. ::)

However, ESPN has Stanton as their No. 9 keeper in their top 250. Take that FWIW.

10. Steak Snabler

There are 10-15 starting pitchers better than Gallardo, including Strasburg.

11. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Yeah, and a third of those are in their high 20s or 30s. Gallardo is 26. That leaves 10 or so. You think those 10 aren't being kept?

12. Steak Snabler

You can always find pitching.

Draft saved Draft deleted