1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favorite Speaker You’ve Seen

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by qtlaw, Sep 19, 2024 at 1:58 AM.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

My adolescent crush came to town last night as part of our Speaker series, Chrissie Evert.

She was soooo nice.

We had Liz Cheney a few months ago, not as nice as Ms. Every but very entertaining.

Probably best ever for me was Desmond Tutu during the South Africa divestment movement. 10,000 on our quad was amazing.

2. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Kurt Vonnegut, back around 1990-92.

And Kenn Finkel's two-hour editing seminars were good newsroom entertainment.

3. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

Isabel Wilkerson, the author of The Warmth of Other Suns, an epic look at the Great Migration.

The first time I heard her was at a writing conference in Grapevine, Texas. She was the keynote on Sunday morning, the last day of the conference, and there weren't many folks in the room. I believe many might have had a few too many adult beverages the previous evening. But Wilkerson received two standing ovations while talking about her book.

Then the university where I work hosted her a few years ago, and the talk was equally lovely.

Warmth is my favorite book ever.

4. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

My mom got VIP tickets to see Dave Barry and meet him afterwords when he came to Pittsburgh. Have a picture of the two of us.

5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Dickie V spoke at our car dealers association convention in 2018 and he was awesome, baby.

6. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Pat Croce. Just a dynamic guy all around.

7. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

He's on the roster for our speaker series in 2025! Looking forward to him.

8. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Charles Kuralt during J-week many moons ago.

And Don Ranly every day in class.

9. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Jim Murray to my high school journalism class.
    He lived down the street from a guy in our class and his daughter was a senior at our school when I was a sophomore.

Draft saved Draft deleted