1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Football Section Exchange

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Aug 19, 2009.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

From Toby Carrig - a good opportunity to see a lot of sections. I did it my one year as SE and loved what I got in return.

More than 20 newspapers of various sizes last year participated in an exchange of football preview sections — predominantly high school and colleges.
    Papers that participated were able to check out what other papers were doing and possibly get some inspiration for future special sections.
    Sportsjournalists.com played an important role in getting the word out and getting sports editors and writers involved. This thread will allow sports editors who want to participate to get more information.
    Basically, here’s how it works:
    Papers that agree to participate can send me 15 copies of their football special sections by Sept. 21.
    In return, those who participate will receive 15 different editions.
    Can’t scrape up 15? That’s OK, you can still be included and receive the number back that you send in.
    I will update the participating papers on this thread.
    Those who want to participate can e-mail me at tcarrig@avpress.com or PM me at Toby Carrig on the sportsjournalists.com Web site.
    Ship the papers to me at Antelope Valley Press, 37404 Sierra Highway or P.O. Box 4050, Palmdale, CA, 93590.
    The goal will be to mail sections back out to everyone on the first weekend of October.

2. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I'd like to ask that this thread also become the place for links to online special sections for football. Share the link for your paper's site or any others you come across. Even if your paper just posts the PDFs of the print pages online, it helps to see what others are doing.

3. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

http://www.pjstar.com/preps/x1349325597/Linemen-are-basically-the-whole-team

Links to sidebars, other features, capsules, etc. are in box on left.

4. Toby Carrig

Toby Carrig Member

Here's who I have heard from on the print exchange:
    Yamhill Valley (Ore.) News Register
    Daily Record (Parsippany, N.J.)
    Sun News (suburban KC weekly papers)
    Newport News Daily Press
    Antelope Valley Press
    Florance (Ala.) Times Daily
    Morning News of Northwest Arkansas
    Post Tribune of Northwest Indiana
    Lenoir (N.C.) News-Topic
    Lorain (Ohio) Morning Journal
    The Daily Mining Gazette (Houghton, Mich.)
    Peoria Journal Star
    The Citizens' Voice (Wilkes-Barre, Pa.)

Always room for more.

5. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

We were told last minute that we had to put a Tab together this year, so it's pretty basic straight preview and roster for each team. Somewhat embarrassed by the whole thing because we used to go all out with previews a cover story and a couple more features. This year we're just throwing crap together to get it to press Monday and it's not even coming out until Friday. I'd love to get in on this to see what others have done, but I feel too ashamed to send out our piece of suck. I feel like we'd be giving other people nothing they can take anything from while we'd be getting some quality material. Just wouldn't be right to do that to others.

6. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

they could use yours to show the ad people and higher ups what happens if you don't get involved until the last minute. not trying to be snarky here, either.

7. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

surprisingly we had a decent amount of ads. What happened was we as a sports desk were under the assumption it was being scrapped this year. Then come to find out, the ad department had it in their projections for revenue and was selling ads without telling the editorial side after we had told them in the spring it was done. Communication at a newspaper, who needs that.

8. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

Sixteen copies in the mail today. Thanks for doing this, Toby.

9. Toby Carrig

Toby Carrig Member

Some have trickled in already.

Looks like we also may have:
    Savannah Morning News
    Virginian-Pilot
    Willoughby (Ohio) News Herald
    Charlotte Sun

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I'll shoot you a few from Helena, Mont. 20 pages, local high schools, NAIA powerhouse Carroll College and Big Sky stuff. No pro in the tab, however.

11. BigJim5190

BigJim5190 Member

Ours just came out and got extra copies Friday. Will be in the mail early this week. Thanks for taking care of this again. I loved it last year.

12. Toby Carrig

Toby Carrig Member

I believe all the papers are in hand. I will post the list this weekend, when I will spend some time redistributing the papers. I am planning on mailing them out early next week.

Draft saved Draft deleted