1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

GA writer, Houston Chronicle

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by NickMathews, Dec 18, 2014.

1. NickMathews

NickMathews New Member

The Houston Chronicle is looking for a general assignment reporter, someone who can handle quick turnaround work for online, major enterprise projects and everything in between.

This is an entry-level position here at the Chronicle.

Please send five examples of your best work – focusing on explanatory, feature and off-beat coverage – a resume and a cover letter to sports editor Nick Mathews at nick.mathews@chron.com

Please put “Sports GA position” in the subject line.

No phone calls please.

2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Any reason you have three open positions right now?

3. NickMathews

NickMathews New Member

One person was promoted internally, leaving a void on our copy desk. One person left our online team for another opportunity outside the business, leaving a void as lead sports producer (which has been filled by Corpus Christi sports editor Greg Rajan). This open position for a GA writer is a new position created for 2015. Not many papers can say they are creating positions.

4. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

Which areas do you see this position contributing to the most? A lot of preps with the random community events thrown in? Majority of pro backup stuff? Updating stats on website?

5. NickMathews

NickMathews New Member

Will be a true general assignment reporter, helping out with everything from high school stuff to marathon coverage to the Texans.

6. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Once upon a time this would have been practically a dream job for me, even if it is considered entry-level.

Heck, even now, I keep coming back and looking at it, and I'd seriously consider applying but for the fact that I've been out of the business completely since late 2009. This is the first time in a long time my interest so piqued.

This will be a great opportunity.

7. embnc13

embnc13 New Member

Any update on this?

8. NickMathews

NickMathews New Member

We are still collecting resumes. Have not yet reached out to finalists.

9. HardwoodHero

HardwoodHero New Member

Have finalists been notified?

10. EddieM

EddieM Member

This job has been filled, according to someone I know that applied and was notified a hire had been made.

11. NickMathews

NickMathews New Member

We have hired Stephanie Kuzydym for this position. We had close to 250 applicants. I greatly appreciate all of the interest.

12. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Very impressive resume. Congratulations, Stephanie!

Draft saved Draft deleted