1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

General Assignment Reporter, Louisville Courier-Journal

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by MonsterLobster, May 11, 2015.

1. These have been posted a while, and if you've already applied, don't fret: I haven't culled from the pool yet. In fact, I just took a much-needed week off post-basketball-and-Derby and will begin reviewing applicants for the first time this week.

This beat is called seasonal sports, but as not to split hairs here, it's what would typically be called general assignment. Main focus will be taking the lead on some very well-read (and very successful) subjects to include Louisville women's basketball, Louisville City FC soccer, Louisville Bats (Reds triple-A affiliate), Bellarmine University men's basketball and some Western Kentucky football and basketball among other things.

I want to stress that I'm looking to break out of what we've done on these beats, which is typically advance, gamer, repeat. I'd like to see more buzz reporting, I'd like to see the Bats covered more like a Reds recruiting beat, and I'd like for someone to really leverage multimedia and social media in ways we haven't when covering these teams. We're looking for someone to become the voice and face (we do a lot of video and have a new studio setup) of these beats when they're in season.

I'll paste the job description below along with a link to apply. You can email me if you'd like to follow-up, but don't expect something back from me quickly. Also, if you do, please include in the subject line SEASONAL SPORTS REPORTER so I can easily find you among the 18,000 press releases I get each day.

The Courier-Journal is seeking a Sports Reporter to cover local seasonal sports. This reporter will use analytics and good news judgment to balance finding interesting stories on a variety of seasonal beats, including Louisville women's basketball, Louisville non-revenue sports, Bellarmine and Splading athletics; the Louisville Bats; Louisville City Football Club; and other recreational sports. This reporter will be tasked with keeping our readers up-to-date with interesting, important and buzz-worthy topics from all of these beats while in season rather than putting an emphasis on daily preview and game coverage.

Duties:

Create storytelling that accurately informs, entertains and engages specific audiences and platforms through the use of metrics. Works toward becoming the community's leading voice in area of expertise.

Connects with the community through storytelling and outreach (social-media, on camera, forums, community leadership, etc.) Provdes thoughtful analysis of complex issues.

Works with Content Strategist and audience analyst to evaluate what's working and what's not, and develops ongoing plans to better satisfy audience needs.

Collaborates with content team to provide all appropriate elements for stories (i.e. photos, videos and graphics). Captures basic photos and video as needed. Promotes personal brand, the brands of colleagues and the institutional brand. Coaches and mentors less-experienced journalists.

Skills and Knowledge:

Ability to produce top-notch watchdog journalism

Exceptional cross-platform storytelling skills

Exceptional core journalism skills (reporting, producing and editing)

Self-motivation and self-direction

Advanced knowledge of social-media and how to engage fan base on digital platforms in the public space.

Photo and video skills

Effective communication and time management skills; works collaboratively within a cross-functional environment

Qualifications:

Bachelor's in Communication, Journalism or equivalent in experience and education. Five years of experience developing a personal brand and fan base. Experience with advanced storytelling techniques on multiple platforms. Knowledge and understanding of metrics, Videography, Microsoft Office Suite, Interpersonal skills and Creativity.

We offer:

Competitive salaries, health care, dental and vision coverage; flexible spending account, HSA, 401k and stock; paid vacation time and sick leave. Pre-employment drug testing and a background screening are required. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and value the benefits of diversity in our workplace including veterans and applicants with disabilities.

Career Opportunities: Reporter - Seasonal Sports (53707)

2. SEeditor

SEeditor Member

Louisville would seem to be a great city to live in/be around. A lot to do there for a non-major pro sports team market. I know, I know, the University of Louisville is the "pro" team in the city. I browsed quite a bit online about the city when I applying for these positions. I really liked what I saw about Louisville, though I've never been through the city before. Shoot, I barely drove through Kentucky on my way out west.

3. SteveMcQueen

SteveMcQueen New Member

Any news on this opening, or the other two openings with the C-J?

4. Runner

Runner New Member

Can someone still apply for this position, or has the deadline passed?

5. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

The link has been taken down, so I'd say it's no longer available.

6. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Just looking at the opportunities this beat offers makes me think this would be a pretty good gig for someone.

7. braven24

braven24 New Member

Absolutely. A little bit of everything going on here. Would be a real good gig.

8. embnc13

embnc13 New Member

Any update?

9. TGO157

TGO157 Active Member

10. Rct2009

Rct2009 New Member

What's the update?

11. Ripley58

Ripley58 New Member

Any word on who got the UK football job?

12. We moved an internal candidate into this position. Haven't filled the UK football job yet.

Draft saved Draft deleted