1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Getting Out" job opportunity in Houston

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by MConnolly, Oct 31, 2011.

1. MConnolly

MConnolly New Member

I am an occasional poster/lurker here under another username. It seems like a lot of people are looking for opportunities that use journalism skills in another career. My company has an opening for a job like this. We are a management consulting company with our home office in Houston. Here is the position. E-mail me if you have questions or send me a resume and cover letter -- mconnolly@thelabconsulting.com

I apologize if this board should only be for journalism jobs, but I thought there might be some interest here for this one.

Position:
    Document and Content Standards Editor
    Company Description:
    The Lab is a management consulting firm (started in 1993) that helps clients achieve measurable gains in operations performance and cost reduction. Our clients are large (Fortune 500) companies across a wide range of industries.
    Job Description:
    Editors provide client documentation support for our field consultants. Primary duties include:
    • Proofing consulting documents for grammar, punctuation, spelling and style
    • Giving documents a “does it make sense?” check
    • Reviewing and revising articles for publication
    • Assisting management with solutions for improving document standards through creation of training guides and internal blog postings

Candidate Requirements:
    • Bachelor’s degree is required
    • Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills
    • Strong basic math skills
    • Ability to initiate and proactively manage responsibilities
    • Knowledge of Chicago Manual of Style and Oxford Dictionary spelling standards
    • Ability to blend general style guides with specific company style
    • Experience proofing copy and pages for style, grammar and layout standards
    • Ability to quickly determine and fix errors in a deadline environment
    • Solid understanding of business terms and issues
    • Knowledge of Office 2007 and Office 2010
    • Experience in Adobe Creative Suite (Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign) a plus
    • Experience in social media platforms a plus

Salary, Benefits and Other:
    • Salary based on experience
    • Dynamic team environment with great benefits package
    • Excellent opportunity for growth and advancement

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

The problem is, you're still in Houston.

3. TheMethod

TheMethod Member

Can we get a ballpark figure on salary?

4. .....which is in a tax-free state, has a pretty good nightlife and is affordable to live in compared to larger cities in the US. Yeah, it gets hot as hell, the baseball team stinks and there is always the threat of Mother Nature getting pissed in the Gulf from June to late October, yet -- if the salary is worth it -- one could do much worse.

5. MConnolly

MConnolly New Member

Honestly, it really depends on the person we get. If we get someone with the bear minimum requirements who is only going to be able to check pages, it will be around $30k. It could be much higher than that if we find someone with other skills that can help our company advance.

Thanks to everyone who has sent resumes or questions so far. I will be looking through them near the end of the week.

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Lived there for five years.

Kidding mostly. Houston's ok, but there's not a lot I miss about it either.

7. Agreed. For such a big city, it is easily forgettable.

8. Raiders

Raiders Guest

Will that be on the editing test? :eek:

9. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Bear minimum would be Baby Bear, not Mama Bear or Papa Bear.

Draft saved Draft deleted