1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

GQ profiles Deadspin's Daulerio

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Jan 19, 2011.

1. More like Tucker Maxx.
    But certainly the same ilk.

(sigh) nonetheless, I check the site several times a day - though I do NOT read many of the stories.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Lucky for him he has no self-respect and will never get close enough to another person that what's said about that person would bother him. So, that and $100K a year: good life!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

They had another Brett Favre lewd text story yesterday. Though I didn't really need to tell many here. They curse AJ up and down on this board, but are also part of his 2.8 million clicks.

4. Double J

Double J Active Member

I stopped clicking a long time ago.

If he and that site turn your crank, though, more power to you.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I mean this in a completely non-judgmental way toward people who read the site: I find nothing about it interesting, informative, or even entertaining.

Isn't it mostly "News of the Weird" kind of stuff?

The older I get, it seems the more my interest in sports is rooted firmly in (1) What is going on on the field; (2) The business aspects of it - i.e. contracts, salary caps and labor dispute issues, trade rumors, etc., etc.

It's funny, because my newspaper training was always that the off-the-field, personality-driven stuff was what was interesting. And for a long time, I lived and breathed by that.

Then I read Buster Olney's "Last Night of the Yankees Dynasty" and Michael Lewis's "Moneyball," and they were both revelations: SPORTS ARE INTERESTING IN THEIR OWN RIGHT!

I just don't get Deadspin. But I'm not a celebrity gossip person, either.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

And he hasn't even gotten his windfall yet. That's what I'm most stunned about.

7. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Some of your impressions of what Deadspin is are correct, and some are vague generalizations.

Yes, certainly the site is "News of the Weird" and "Look whose cock this is." But mixed in with that is some often exceptional commentary, most of it by Tommy Craggs, who is (for my money) one of the most interesting people writing about sports in the business.

I don't think anyone can read Craggs profile/take down of Joe Morgan and come away thinking Deadspin is just a place for people to say "poop" and "fuck" every third word, as hondo so eloquently put it earlier in this thread.

http://deadspin.com/5685456/my-uncomfortable-encounter-with-an-angry-joe-morgan

Craggs also frequently calls attention to great pieces of writing from previous eras that I bet a lot of people (including, occasionally, me) have never seen. The tag is Stories That Don't Suck, and they're always worth your time.

Magary is Magary. Typically I find his KSK stuff to be very funny and clever, but I've grown a little weary of his Deadspin rants. The "Fuck You, Charlie Brown" piece was atrocious. It was the equivalent of Sam Kinison going on stage and yelling "Ahhhhh! Ahhh! Ahhhh!" for 15 minutes without any jokes because, well, that's his gimmick.

I've enjoyed Bethlehem Shoals' (of Free Darko) blogging about each Miami Heat game, just because he's such a smart, interesting writer. And even Barry Petchesky writes some interesting essay/blogs from time to time.

Daulerio is actually the last reason to read Deadspin, as far as I'm concerned.

Some of it is garbage, no doubt. A lot of it, actually.

But sometimes, you also get Pat Jordan chasing Jose Canseco, a story he wrote trying to sell to a magazine, but no one else would publish. And it's excellent.

http://deadspin.com/372409/chasing-jose-by-pat-jordan

8. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Double Down and Dick, you nailed for me on Deadspin. There are some great reads for the most part, and then there are stories that does cross the line like the bathroom sex tape inside Jerryworld, and Favre's "tallywhacker."

I wonder how Bissinger feels about Leitch now? Leitch has a conscious. Daulerio, I guess not, as long as it drives readers to the site.

9. The drunken almost-hooked up stories are classic, as well the mailbags and stories about stupid people. You might get outbreaks of fights inside McDonalds for good measure, too. Most of all, IT IS FUNNY. Well, at least most of it.

That said, I never knew about the screwing in the stall incident. If I'm gonna sell my soul to the devil, I'm asking at least eight figures.

10. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

He also said he regretted the decision.

1. We all agree that it shouldn't be posted.
    2. We all agree that you shouldn't have sex in public bathrooms and that's a bad idea. And if you do end up on the net for public sex, then well, maybe you shouldn't do it.
    3. If it was a case of rape, then that is sad and it makes the situation worse. Lets hope that wasn't the case. (not that it makes it better).

11. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Failures in drunk hookup history are my favorite part about my Friday workday. I encourage everyone to take a look and read them each Friday. If I thought it would get any clicks, I would start a drunk hookup thread on here.

12. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Deadspin also deserves credit for getting hold of the baseball financial documents that showed teams like Florida and Pittsburgh were making money despite losing games.

There are things that make you hold your nose, but, also, some really good work. Just like a lot of other places.

I do believe, however, that Daulerio is right that his fall (if it ever comes) will be wildly celebrated.

Draft saved Draft deleted