1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

GQ profiles Deadspin's Daulerio

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Jan 19, 2011.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Speaking of the quality writing that can be found on Deadspin, Craggs comes through today with a column that will no doubt earn love and affection from Creamora.

http://deadspin.com/5738218/the-case-against-the-case-against-lance-armstrong

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Metaphysician, heal thyself.

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

And me. Very solid work.

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Aren't the podcasts, at least the most recent one, done by Magary?

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Yes. I was just addressing the point that he keeps his distance, post deadspin. An hour podcast 3 or 4 times a year kind of contradicts that.

6. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

This was actually a very interesting piece of media criticism, and as someone who often muses about the state of the business and the inanity of beat reporters asking the same lame questions, you should go back and read it. Nate Jackson, a former NFL player who appears to be a pretty smart guy, is writing some very interesting stuff for Deadspin that should be read by anyone who has ever written about athletes.

7. I have to disagree with this assessment. I thought the piece was a reach the first time I read it and went back again to see if I missed something. I don't think so. It's what a former player wants to believe, I suppose.

But realistically, I just don't think Cromartie was baited into such an over-the-top response. Especially from the exchange Jackson listed. It's just easier to blame all the ills on the media. Nothing new there. The supposedly baiting question here, according to Jackson?
    "Okay, what kind of guy is he?" (Referring to Brady.) That got the "He's an a------" line. There's a lot better examples of baiting out there. This isn't one of them.

I will give him points for the theory of Ryan concocting slights that weren't there. That's nothing new either though.

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

DD - I'll read it.

I think I was turned off by the "Fuck" in the headline. Seems ... fratboyish.

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

They're quoting someone.

10. Dick Whitman

I understand that.

But when I see "Fuck" in a headline, it seems like an attention-getter. Which I guess headlines are supposed to be. But when I see "fuck" in a headline, I don't think that a serious piece is to follow. I think, reflexively, that it's going to be another, "Fuck Charlie Brown he sucks O'Doyle rules bed some whores shut up pussy look Anika Sorenstam is kissing a penis-shaped trophy drink some Jagerbombs!11!!!" type piece.

Like I said, maybe that's more on me than them. Maybe I'm too far along the continuum toward "Get off my lawn!" now to appreciate Deadspin. That's very likely.

11. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Yeah. It's more on you.

12. Dick Whitman

Yeah, well. OK. Whatever. I don't care. I'm not going to wade through the other shit on there. Like I said, I'm old. I don't like Tucker Max, either, and I catch plenty of shit for that, as well.

I'm probably just too serious. Wouldn't be the first time I've faced that accusation.

P.S. This is a sincere post. As in, yeah, I'm an old fogey. Maybe I will try harder to read Deadspin, because people whose opinions I respect on here credit it. But it won't be an overnight process.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
Draft saved Draft deleted