1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

GQ profiles Deadspin's Daulerio

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Jan 19, 2011.

1. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

You catch shit for not liking Tucker Max? Do you hang around with a bunch of frat boys? Tucker Max isn't funny in the slightest.

As for Deadspin, I don't really go there for similar reasons to you. I'll go read something if it's linked by someone I respect but for the most part I stay away from it. Everyone has their own filters so I don't think it's an issue that you don't go there. Also, after reading this profile I'm now less inclined to go to Deadspin.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

My brother is in his early 30s and single, and loves Tucker Max and any comedy along those lines. When I get together with he and his other overgrown adolescent buddy, typically for sporting events, it's one Tucker Max-type story after another from them.

It's all good-natured, but basically the premise is that they think that anyone who likes, say, "30 Rock" over "Two and a Half Men" or "The New Yorker" instead of "Maxim" is just being pretentious. It's that not-uncommon dichotomy.

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

People in their early 30s love Tucker Max? Shit. I didn't even know Tucker Max was still doing whatever it was he did anymore. Didn't he peak about 5 or 6 years ago?

4. Dick Whitman

Admittedly, it is a small sample size.

My brother is basically Peter Pan with a little money.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

He peaked?

6. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Well this makes more sense. I figure there's probably a diner or two where you could find people who like Tucker Max who would ridicule you.

7. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

That "Fuck" column was good. Nice insight.

8. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

I agree with the Nate Jackson nod. He's very good. The best ex-player writing today. Fatsis, who wrote that book on the Broncos when he was playing, is like his mentor. Jackson does some Slate stuff with that crew too.

9. Dick Whitman

Better than Doug Glanville?

10. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Both are good but I think Glanville's the more polished of the two. Dirk Hayhurst's book was pretty good, too.

11. Dick Whitman

John Ed Bradley is the best ex-jock-turned-writer, but I'm not sure he counts because he never was a professional athlete.

12. Jersey_Guy

Jersey_Guy Active Member

Dude, that's quite a statement on your workday.

Draft saved Draft deleted