1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Great food stops

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by jr/shotglass, Jan 9, 2023.

1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jan 9, 2023
    Wenders likes this.
  2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I have never been there but some of my friends swear by McClintock's Steak House in Pismo Beach, Calif.

MileHigh, mpcincal and ChrisLong like this.
  3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Acre in Auburn was one of the best meals I've ever had.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Went there a few times, excellent steaks.

Also a butterfly grove in Pismo for butterfly lovers.

5. jr/shotglass

Great, melt-in-your-mouth steaks are so rare around here, I don't even order it anymore.

6. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

McClintocks is great. And there are two locations, if I'm not mistaken. One is a fancy steakhouse and the other is more low-key country feel.

7. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

In San Jose, it isn't fancy but La Victoria Taqueria on Third and San Carlos in downtown is good. The Orange Sauce is the whole reason to go. Their recipe is a closely guarded secret. Totally worth it.

8. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

If you ever find yourself meandering along U.S. 64 in western North Carolina, it will be worth your time to stop at the Cashiers Valley Smokehouse for the best BBQ I’ve had in the Eastern Time Zone.

https://www.cashiersvalleysmokehouse.com/

John and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  9. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Used to drive by Shady Maple a couple or three times a month and never stopped in. Let us know what you think of it.

10. jr/shotglass

Oh, I've been there before. It's pretty awesome. Four or five chef stations for steak, seafood, brisket, etc. About 50 yards worth of two-sided buffet, mouth-watering Amish dishes like brown-butter noodles and ham balls. And a dessert stand that will blow you away.

11. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I didn't realize how iconic it was until I moved away. Just figured it was a Ponderosa/Golden Corral clone. I've kicked myself ever since.

jr/shotglass likes this.
  12. jr/shotglass

There's another Amish-country buffet that's a must-stop -- Miller's Smorgasbord in Ronks, on Route 30 just past the Lancaster outlets. High-end buffet fare here.

https://www.millerssmorgasbord.com/

wicked likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted