1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Health crisis for Mary Lou Retton

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, Oct 10, 2023.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Details sketchy:
    Mary Lou Retton illness: McKenna Kelley reveals mother's pneumonia diagnosis | CNN

I had just seen a taped program with her in it in the last week or so. I forget what it was about, but she looked ok in that.

Kind of astonishing that she would be in a position of her family having to fundraise to cover medical bills, but weird things happen in life.

2. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

She does one of those late night commercials for something insurance I think and she didn’t look good / I didn’t recognize her

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I think that was it.

Apparently it must not be very good insurance if her family has to drum up money for medical bills.

I thought she looked ok for mid-fifties -- her hairstyle is obviously very different from her iconic pageboy look from '84 and I did have to double take to be sure -- but overall she looked ok, hadn't ballooned up to 300 pounds, no raccoon like sunken smoker's eye sockets, no blotchy meth skin, etc etc. Hopefully she pulls through.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2023
    I Should Coco and CD Boogie like this.
  4. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Fifty-five, damn. I hope she's OK but this sounds harrowing.

5. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Every schoolboy’s dream in ‘84, especially with that phone ring on her floor routine.

I hope it works out for her.

6. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

She looks a lot older than 55 but maybe it’s just me

7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

The way I'm reading the coverage, it sounds like the title of this may be changing soon.

Coming back from a week on a ventilator... well, the odds are long.

Also, gotta wonder if this is pneumonia or "pneumonia" (covid).

8. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

I was in a mall in Morgantown about 1986 and who shows up but Mary Lou herself. I was introduced and said, "Do you have to show up for everyone's first day here?"

She was nice and lovely, just as you'd expect.

OscarMadison and exmediahack like this.
  9. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

She was involved in everything in '84/'85. Being 8/9 years old at the time, she was on a lot of the commercials during my shows (Saturday morning cartoons, etc.).

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I was entering sophomore year in high school and taking summer classes in summer of 1984. What a time.

What an athlete.

America's Sweetheart.

OscarMadison likes this.
  11. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I think I ate a couple of Big Macs on Mary Lou's dime in 1984. McD's lost their ass on that promo.

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I loved watching her, but probably no athlete benefited from the Warsaw Pact boycott more.

Draft saved Draft deleted