1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Help! My car window won't go up...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by imjustagirl2, Sep 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

How new is the car? If it's less than five years old, I really doubt the window motor would blow out that easily, unless you lower and raise the window 100 times each day.

It's times like these where I'm glad I have power nothing on my car. Being cheap helps on occasion.

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Is the vehicle manual still stored in the glove compartment? The manufacturer of your vehicle is wise enough to alert you to where the fuse box is - wicked's suggestion is as good as any - but I can't remember where it is on those vehicles.

Hopefully, it's little more than a blown fuse. A new window motor probably won't be as cheap - or easy - to repair.

3. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Ha. It's a 2000. And I do put my window up and down a lot. Nervous tic, I guess.

4. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I've never touched the manual, so I'm sure it's there. I'll just let someone else do it. I don't do manual labor. :)

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Have you consider doing a little dance for the window?

Something to inspire it, perhaps?

6. Sam Mills 51

If you're still driving what I think you're driving ...

http://www.car-stuff.com/mmparts/nissan-sentra/window_motor.html

Motors are probably $80-100, but dealers are known for their wonderful markups. Then the labor costs will likely double that, assuming it can be done in roughly an hour.

In other words, cross your fingers that it's a fuse or a one-time ghost in your machine.

7. Sam Mills 51

Zeke, we're trying to get the window to appear, not slink away to parts unknown. :D

(Yes, I know. I'm now Dead To IJAG ... but it was too easy ... )

8. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

It was flittering in and out a couple weeks ago, but just like for about 30 seconds, or it would go up jerkily. Then, after about a day, it was fine. So I assumed THAT was my one-time ghost.

That's why I'm afraid of the motor now. Maybe it gave up that ghost.

9. Sam Mills 51

Now that it does nothing, tough to tell if it's a fuse, the switch is bad (that wouldn't be world-ending) or the window motor already offered its final push. At least I'm pretty sure an electrical assembly like that would have a switch that can give out over time ...

One of these days, I'm going to see if some poor sucker will hire me as an automotive writer. Maybe Click & Clack need a third voice ...

10. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

IF it matters, the buttons on the driver's door still operate the other three windows.

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Probably either a bad fuse or a bad switch, then.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

A little song, a little dance
    A little seltzer down your pants

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.