1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hiring Writers for CBSSports.com NFL Correspondent Network

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by jetssack, May 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

We, who, mister? Aren't you playing for the other team now? :) </threadjack>

RB

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

You gotta keep up man! I left there two months ago.

3. Moderator1

Uh, dude. I was answering someone else's post with the reply you quoted. Had nothing to do with you or your earlier posts. I'm trying to give you some solid advice here. I suggest you take it. And quit with the smiley.
    I didn't mean stop posting. I meant stop with your inane defenses of yourself.

4. BrianMcDowell

BrianMcDowell Member

I think, more than any other, this sentence tells us everything we need to know about the quality of your writing, or your chances of journalistic career advancement. Now, please, Andy, for the sake of both your future and my blood pressure, please listen to the moderator and knock this off.

Brian McDowell

5. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I just read some of your stuff and I weep for the future of "journalism."

You can't spell, write complete sentences or use punctuation - of course, you will fit right in at Washington State with those skills.

You are a blight on "Seattle, the most beautiful city in the entirety of the nation."

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

But someone has to be the annoying kid with a fresh credential dangling around their neck and showing it to anyone within 100 yards. There has to be someone in the world who will send B/R links to every SE out there. Someone has to be the guy who can Stump the Schwab.

I think Andy will do great. We should get the Pulitzer and APSE's made up already.

Congrats to Andy on a high school diploma. I have my GED framed for everyone to see.

7. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

8. Moderator1

OK, we've had our fun.
    I've asked Andy to stop (we'll see how that works). Let's stop piling on him, too, and keep this discussion to the plusses and/or minuses of THIS situation.
    I'll have plenty more to say about all that later.

9. jetssack

jetssack Member

Moderator, with all due respect, please feel free to remove this post but it is not intended to pile on. I really think he needs to consider the consequences of what he writes:

Andy, this is intended as sincere advice, offered to help you (and your peers) -

If "Andy Auger" is your actual name, when you apply for a job someday, your prospective employer will Google you. The search will turn up all of these rambling, attitude-laden rants (which also evidence your inability to punctuate, spell or capitalize) -- particularly that in which you brag about getting A's without doing your work and that you "work the system." No matter how much you scorn the older generation, it does the hiring and no decent editor reading this will give you a job.

That is only one reason why you should respect any writing you post online (whether on a board, blog, forum or social networking site). The second is respect for this board, its members and their experience. The third is respect for yourself.

10. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Is the $400 per week before or after taxes?

Edit: To add to the previous post by jetssack, this thread comes up on the second page when you google Andy Auger.

I'll stop now, Moddy.

11. Moderator1

Wow. I'm somewhat amazed you actually took the time to google.
    Jetssack's post is excellent. Very good advice in that one. Major points to you sir.
    NOW we stop.

12. ickeywoods

ickeywoods New Member

I'm under the impression that CBS Sportsline is playing a 50 percent roll in all of this and since they're televising the Super Bowl this year, credentials won't be a problem. However, I was also under the impression that the Lions would win nine games last year, so I could be wrong.

Also, if you're foot is already slightly in the door, then this isn't a bad job. If you can afford it and you already have some solid clips (read: not b/r), then this is a great way to make some connections.

Enough from me, I have a lot to do today, including: praying to my Ickey Woods statue, shaving my cat and taking a nap.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.