1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Honey, I Brought the Kids to the Presser!

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MeanGreenATO, Oct 15, 2024 at 12:44 PM.

1. MeanGreenATO

MeanGreenATO Well-Known Member

Eagles coach Nick Sirianni, who should have been fired a year ago but remains employed, got heat for his post-game press conference the other day.

Why? Because he brought his kids to the presser. Sirianni was about to get grilled for going after his own fans after a *win*. But the presence of his children made it more difficult to ask any tough questions.

https://awfulannouncing.com/nfl/nick-sirianni-criticized-kids-postgame-press-conference.html

It definitely has been a talking point. I have seen it before at lower levels like HS and college. But in the pros, in a situation like this one, it's a first.

Liut likes this.
  2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

The Philly media couldn't fight through this? I'm disappointed.

Liut likes this.
  3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

It’s cute when Steph Curry does it.

4. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Using your kids as human shields at a press conference is about as low as it gets.

5. MeanGreenATO

MeanGreenATO Well-Known Member

This is what I thought, too. If you're on an NFL beat, you should be able to ask whatever questions you needed to, regardless of whether someone's children are present or not.

Liut likes this.
  6. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Allegedly he does this regularly so they weren’t shields?

7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I could be wrong on this, but I don't believe he has done it for post-game pressers like this. And it was a game when the Eagles looked like ass and he got into a shouting match with Philly fans behind the bench.

8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Oh, it's horsecrap. Horsecrap when Steph did it. Horsecrap when this jackass does it.

Many - not all! - coaches and athletes under a certain age have been brought up with this weird stoic moralism that's really just passive-aggressive horsecrap that manifests in many forms. This is one way. The "eh, just another game" thing is another. As is the "man in the arena" nonsense. I'd rather have someone curse me out or throw a paper airplane at me than engage in a little pop morality for everyone to see.

9. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I find it to be unprofessional. The presser is part of the job and not a place for kids.

Liut and I Should Coco like this.
  10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I'd like to think the team's media relations director could somehow step in and prohibit it but I know that ship has sailed in 99.9% of the press rooms in sports.

11. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I'm just wondering how that would have played out had the tough questions been asked and Sirianni's kids started getting weepy.

THAT would have been interesting.

12. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

OK boomer weirdo ... :cool:

Draft saved Draft deleted