1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

HS sports content producer, Wisconsin Sports Network

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by playthrough, Jan 18, 2009.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1011445

Company: Wisconsin Sports Network
    Position: HS Sport Content Producer
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: $25,000 to $30,000
    Ad Expires: February 18, 2009

Description:
    The Wisconsin Sports Network is a leader in statewide high school sports coverage. Through our web sites and publications we cover everything from the tip off to the final buzzer. We are currently looking for a Sports Content Producer to work out of our Madison office contributing to our high school sports properties and content. The Wisconsin Sports Network is a subsidiary of TDS Telecommunications Corp.

Responsibilities:
    - Create, edit and update content for all Web properties and published works, including WisSports.net and WSN Illustrated. This includes blogs, articles, photos, podcasts and video.
    - Assist in managing & training interns, stringers and sport-specific experts
    - Maintain and build strong relationships with key stakeholders including coaches, athletic directors and media partners
    - Accountable for information gathering, database updates and external relations for several conferences and/or sports
    - Provide customer service to Web site visitors, members and subscribers

Desired Qualifications:
    - Bachelors degree
    - Excellent organization skills
    - Strong phone skills and willingness to pick up the phone and call anyone about anything
    - Strong English grammar and writing skills
    - Microsoft Office suite of products
    - Familiarity with most major internet search engines and fluency in electronic newsgathering techniques, including quickly navigating the Internet.
    - Strong understanding of some or all WIAA sports, as well as a working knowledge of athletes, coaches, league operations and the like.
    - Has a basic appreciation of popular culture, e.g., “what’s cool” and contributes to an understanding of the tastes of WSN’s audiences.
    - 1-2 years experience in a professional office environment

Preferred Qualifications:
    - Beginner knowledge of HTML or above
    - Knowledge of layout software such as Quark or InDesign
    - Knowledge of video editing systems such as Vegas or Final Cut

Please send cover letter, résumé and clips to nicholas@wissports.net or the following address:

Wisconsin Sports Network
    Attn: Sports Content Producer
    4915 Monona Dr
    Suite #307
    Monona, WI 53716

NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE

2. mdpoppy

mdpoppy Member

I'm currently am based in Madison and can vouch that Nick is good people. I know someone who worked with WSN in the past and can offer some details if anyone has questions.

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Wondering how stable this operation is in this economy.

4. I think this would be a great gig to get some multimedia experience to go along with the writing/editing part especially if you're looking to leave the business and/or looking to get into SID work.

5. mdpoppy

mdpoppy Member

I don't know much specifics on WSN's operation, but I'd say it'd be fairly stable from what I know. TDS bought them and was tossing around the idea of setting up similar sites/publications in other states.

6. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Looks like a mighty large skill set needed and a whole lot of experience for typical low journalism pay. You'd think someone with skills that meet this job description would be worth more than 25k. These aren't entry level skills.

7. mdpoppy

mdpoppy Member

How so? Most kids out of college should have most of these qualifications.

8. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

How many kids can

write
    edit
    do layout
    know enough html
    know enough audio/video editing

Maybe a few but not all.

9. mdpoppy

mdpoppy Member

The html knowledge needed is minimal.

Anyone who wrote for a college newspaper should be familiar with Quark or InDesign.

Audio/Video editing I won't argue with, but all three of these are listed under preferred qualifications. Being familiar with WSN, I'm sure they'd be willing to work with someone who might not have these qualifications -- plus, they're pretty easy to catch on to.

Either way, anyone graduating from UW-Madison would easily have these qualifications from the J-School there. I don't think it's asking that much.

10. TheHacker

TheHacker Member

I agree this feels like it should pay a little more. The Web content management positions at my paper are a good bit above this in salary. But it sounds like a cool job. Anyone know if you can live respectably in Madison on 25-30 K?

11. mdpoppy

mdpoppy Member

I make 32K and am living comfortably, still paying off student and car loans while going out way too much. My downtown 1 bedroom apartment with parking is $680/mo. -- there are nice 2-bedroom apartments downtown for the $800 range, so it'd be cheaper with a roommate. WSN is in Monona (south side), where you can find much cheaper apartments.

From what I know, I don't think you'd be writing as much as you'd think. It's more database entry for stats and keeping up with rosters, etc. I'm not sure how often the magazine prints, but the big things are the basketball and football yearbooks.

12. Cubbie Blue

Cubbie Blue New Member

Does anyone else think it's strange that one of the qualifications is "strong phone skills and willingness to pick up the phone and call anyone about anything" but at the end they specifically say no phone calls? I know most people put that in ads, but it just seemed funny to me.

Draft saved Draft deleted