1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jake Scott piece

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Columbo, Nov 19, 2006.

1. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/football/pro/dolphins/sfl-spjakescott19nov19,0,3570478.story?page=1&coll=sfla-dolphins-front

That's how you spend travel budget.

Phenomenal.

2. I get the feeling that it's a good thing that the writer couldn't go out in the boat with ol' Jake.
    Nice piece of work, though.
    The story, that is.
    And Jake, too.

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Good, good column. Done the right way - no waiting until Scott came stateside for the Ga -Ga Tech game - good mixture of quote and narrative. Not overdone, reflective, insightful.

4. Dave Kindred

Dave Kindred Member

Only way that story could've been better is if Billy Kilmer showed up on the stool next to Hyde....what a pair they were/are, Jake and Kilmer....beautifully done....

5. patchs

patchs Active Member

That baby is an APSE winner.
    Well written, great story telling, really gives you a sense of what it was like for Hyde.

6. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I've gotten to the point where I rarely read the stories that start on 1C and cover two full pages (with art) on the jump.

So curses on Dave Hyde for disrupting my normal Sunday morning schedule by making me read from the first word to the last today.

7. Bruhman

Bruhman Active Member

that was a great read. and how 'bout hyde drinking on the job! he says he ordered a beer at 5 p.m. and didn't leave the bar until after 1 in the morning. i'm betting he had at least another, though there's no mention. the trip to hawaii couldn't have worked out better than that lengthy and meaty piece.

imagine if scott had blown him off. nothing ventured, nothing gained.

8. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Takes me back to a happier time. :)

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Enjoyed every word.

10. shotglass

shotglass Guest

That's what you would call one great yarn.

11. awriter

awriter Active Member

That's the best story I've read in a long time.

12. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

great story - i felt like i was there - and like i know who scott is

Draft saved Draft deleted