1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

JSU/SWAC sports - (Jackson, Miss.) Clarion-Ledger

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by boundforboston, Mar 6, 2015.

1. Isn't that what about 90% of jobs these days are asking for?

2. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Yes, but let's do the math. Lost a reporter position even as the prep beat there is being asked to do a bunch of new things relating to their Hunger Games festival, er, High School Heroes banquet. That can't help the coverage scheme.

3. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

There's been no loss of positions. Simple math: the columnist job replaced the recruiting reporter. The columnist will help out with recruiting the same way he will with everything else.
    Jackson State is a really good first or second job. David Brandt had it, and now works for the AP. Ross Dellenger had it, and now covers LSU. Ros got a job that sounds like a great adventure for her, and fits into what her career goals are.

4. HejiraHenry

Jackson is quietly reaching out to some reporters around the state as potential stringers in an effort to bulk up its prep coverage, so I'll stand by my take.

SWAC coverage is, indeed, a fine place to cut your teeth - do people still use that phase? David Climer got his start there in Nashville and has now advanced to the magical columnist spot at The Tennessean.

5. Devin

Devin Member

Any updates on this job?

6. HejiraHenry

You like to think the new Sports Content Coach would get to play a role in this, but other moves have been made in advance of that person's arrival ... so who knows?

7. NI13

NI13 New Member

Anybody know who the new sports editor is there? The website still lists Zach as the editor.

8. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

I don't believe there's a new sports strategist yet. Job is still listed on the Gannett site.

9. HejiraHenry

Haven't cold-called me yet. I'm not hard to find.

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

This job is now off the board.

Draft saved Draft deleted