1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kobe Bryant

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SoSueMe, Feb 20, 2007.

1. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

All right, I'm sick of this argument with my asshole friend: Is Kobe the best player in the league? Yes or no? And why or why not?

Please, discuss. And please, side with me.

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I really dislike him, but yes. For the same reasons Jordan was in my mind.

3. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

Best player? Probably. But the guy I'd want on my team if I started one? Hell no.

4. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

My buddy's argument stems from this quote: “The thing about Kobe, he’s got a competitive edge to him that you can just sense, you can just feel,” said Phoenix Coach Mike D’Antoni, who led the West team. “He was the first guy, when the lead got down from 30 or so, that said, ‘Come on, put the hammer on them.’ He’s going to play hard every time he’s on the floor.”

Sure, he's competitive. But he doesn't pass. Doesn't "lead" his team, unless it's for his own personal glory.

My buddy keeps barking about these intangibles, which is fine. But I'd saw Wade, Nash, James, even KG or Arenas before Kobe.

Bryant shoots more than almost every single player in the league (and yes, so did Jordan) but Jordan could and did give up the ball.

5. Angola!

Angola! Guest

But Jordan only gave up the ball when he had quality teammates. He didn't give up the ball early in his career, it was only when Pippen and company joined the squad.
    Of course, Kobe made his bed by forcing Shaq out and now he can go fuck himself in it.

6. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Kobe might be the most skilled player in the league, but he's not the best teammate, which keeps him (in my book) from being the best player.

I think LeBron or Steve Nash is the best player overall (including teammatedom), but being a girl I'm unable to decide between them.

7. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

I still love ya Sportschick, 'cause personally, I think you're right!

8. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

My first impulse is to say no.

On any given night, you could point to a guy who's a little better than Kobe.

But it's never the same guy ... and Kobe's always No. 2.

So I guess I'll say yes, with reservations.

9. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Yes, he's the best player in the league.

Not quite sure why he takes so much shit for the number of shots he takes. Yes, the team is better off when he gets other players involved, but those other guys still aren't very good. No one whines about LeBron refusing to pass, and his stats for shots attempted and assists are very similar to Kobe's.

10. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Here's what I see as the difference between Jordan and Kobe:
    Jordan's killer instinct stemmed from wanting to win. He eventually passed to players when he had them.
    Kobe's killer instinct stems from wanting to be noticed, wanting to be the MVP, wanting to be top dog, not the top team.

Jordan wanted to play well to win.
    Kobe just wants to play well for himself.

11. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Those two are going to have to start giving a shit on defense to be considered the best players in the league.

12. Almost_Famous

Almost_Famous Active Member

Right now?

I'd say Wade.

Starting this season I thought LeBron.

But it's basically Kobe-LeBron-Wade, and you can pick out of a hat and not go wrong. I like how Wade and Lebron makes their teammates better.
    Kobe was doing that this season until the injury to Walton ...

Draft saved Draft deleted