1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lead designer/coordinator Northwest Arkansas Democrat-Gazette

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by ChipSouza, Jul 8, 2015.

1. ChipSouza

ChipSouza Member

The Northwest Arkansas Democrat-Gazette has an opening for lead sports designer. We are looking for a designer who can coordinate with the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette in Little Rock to produce a well-rounded daily sports section. The NWADG shares content with the Little Rock state-wide newspaper including coverage of the University of Arkansas. I don't have a lot of details, but they are going to move quickly to fill this since this person coordinates the sports design of the NWADG sports section and upcoming football section. We are also doing some new things this fall with a 4-page preps-only Saturday wrap, and a 6-page Razorbacks Game Day section. Those interested in the position can email resume and design examples to me and I will move them along. If you don't know about NW Arkansas, it is one of the most attractive and fastest-growing regions in the country. The population of the region is more than 500,000 with arts, entertainment and endless recreational opportunities. We are home to multiple Fortune 500 companies. If you are interested in this opening, email design examples and resume to csouza@nwadg.com, and I'd do it sooner rather than later -- Chip Souza, NWADG Sports Editor

2. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Great area, and Chip's not bad himself.

3. ChipSouza

ChipSouza Member

I have been working out :D ...

Mr. Sunshine likes this.
  4. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

Does "lead" designing imply this is management (well, middle-management) job or does it mean you are the slot guy of a 2-man staff? Not to sound snippy but it does make a difference

5. Mr. Sunshine

I've never heard "lead designer" and thought (middle) management.

6. DeskMonkey1

Maybe middle management is the wrong word but I've seen "lead" titles presented as some sort of step up but was just window dressing on a title and was still just a run-of-the-mill desk job with the same pay and prestige as everyone else but you get blamed when someone else screws up.

7. Mr. Sunshine

I don't think you're getting this job. :)

Seriously, "lead" designer usually means the guy/gal who does most of the fronts. Seems self-explanatory.

8. DeskMonkey1

Yeah, maybe. I've just been jaded over seeing it happen to myself and my friends/colleagues so many times. Early in my career, I took one job over another because it had the fancier title and I never even got to do the fronts, at least not on a consistent basis and learned awfully quick that I was a nobody in that shop.

Waldo9939 likes this.
  9. ChipSouza

ChipSouza Member

Let me try and clarify if I can: The position definitely designs the sports fronts, hence "lead" designer. You also need to be able to coordinate/orchestrate with the sports designers in Little Rock on a nightly basis. We try and share content and pages when we can. I don't have the time or space to go into everything here, but this position definitely leads the NWADG sports design every night. I would not call it a middle management position, but you do assign others to design pages.

10. DeskMonkey1

Yeah, that makes sense. And that's in line with what I asking. Our news side has a "lead designer" and a copy desk chief. The lead designer doesn't do the front dramatically more than the other desk folks and the copy desk chief does all the planning stuff, so she just has the fancy title. She has made it clear she wouldn't have taken the job (which required a move) had she known what was coming, regardless of the fact it pays moderately more than her last shop.

11. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Chip offered me my first job out of college back in 2011. Granted, I was a reporter, not a designer, but still. Great editor to work for and learn from. I know things have changed recently with the setup, officially being the NWADG, but I'd definitely recommend working here. I was only there a year, but learned a lot. NW Arkansas is a great area to live in and is very livable when it comes to housing, gas and grocery costs. As a single guy, I was able to rent a ~600 square foot apartment for $450/month in a complex that was only a few years old. Granted, it was a 19-mile drive to the Springdale office, but it only took 20 minutes; I live five miles from the office here in Fort Collins and it still takes 20 minutes. I don't know what the salary range is for this position, but my entry-level pay was better than I expected four years ago. Some of the staff has changed since I left, but still quality, veteran journalists there to compliment great young talent. It's really hard to say anything bad about this place or the people.

12. ChipSouza

ChipSouza Member

Giving this a bump since we are still looking. Thought we had someone, but they decided to stay at their old shop due to some family issues.

Draft saved Draft deleted