1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Louis CK

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Elliotte Friedman, Nov 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Fair enough.

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I should note have used the word 'raised.' You are correct.
    She was very young when Allen and Farrow got together. He and Farrow were together for quite some time despite maintaining separate apartments across the park from each other.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

too soon

5. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

He's mostly getting killed on social media, and rightly so.

7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Out of any man in the #metoo venn diagram, Louis CK got the least amount of crap on this board, according to my extremely unscientific study.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
  8. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Louis CK was at one time seen as someone who could speak to the experience of being an outsider. Some took it very personally when it turned out that he wasn't the person many of us thought he was. I have no sympathy for him, but a lot for the people who worked with him and his fans.

TigerVols likes this.
  9. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

I don’t see this going well for him. I definitely was a fan. But he probably should not survive this.

I wonder if coming right out and admitting it, apologizing, etc. will make a difference.

Still, you’ve got to know what you’re doing is wrong and vile to begin with. Of all the stuff that has been revealed, what CK and other did, masturbating in front of unwilling women, is just incomprehensible to me. I mean, what you the fuck?

10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I am not sure I have ever used the follow term before, but if there was a textbook example of "privilege", that is it. "I am a male, and powerful, and I am going to jack off in front of you, whether you like it or not, because I can."

11. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

It does project a level of non-awareness that few, if any, of us could ever relate to, for sure.

12. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

OK, I'll regret this, but I'll go ahead and play devil's advocate on this one. (And a disclaimer: I'm a big Louis CK fan. I don't think it's clouding my judgment too badly on this, but just want to throw it out there.)

A few points:

1) What he admitted to was gross, awful, unacceptable, you name it. I'm hardly going to defend his actions.
    2) To Poindexter's point about him catching the least amount of crap for it... I think it's also fair to say that his actions were not as egregious as the other poster boys of the #MeToo movement. He's not Harvey Weinstein or Kevin Spacey.
    3) To Oscar Madison's point about him not being who his fans thought: I'd argue the opposite. As a fan the actions were certainly disappointing... but I can't imagine any fan was shocked to learn he was accused of inappropriate masturbation. Half his act is about inappropriate masturbation. (Obviously this was on the extreme end of that, but you get the point.)
    4) As a result of this his name is permanently tarnished. He lost millions of dollars. He lost at least two TV shows over this. A film he wrote, directed and starred in will never see the light of day now. And hey, fair enough -- his actions were repulsive. There's a price for that.

But... after apologizing profusely and disappearing for a year, he's not morally fit to do 10 minutes at the Comedy Cellar? Really?

What's the statute of limitations before you can be on stage unpaid for 10 minutes in a club?

Stoney likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.