1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Michelle Wie guns for second consecutive "dead last"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Sep 15, 2006.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/golf/leaderboard?tournamentId=290

Has a two stroke lead on dead last with six holes to play.

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Well, I guess she can join Tiger for the weekend.

3. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Seriously, if she's not careful, she's going to quickly transistion from "teenage pheonom" to "novelty act; joke." You can only finish DFL so many times before people start to hear, "Michelle Wie?" and roll their eyes.

Go back to high school, date a few boys, work on your short game, learn to hit the ball higher, stop putting with that gawdawful Nike Oz mallet putter, stop taking sponsor's exemptions for a year, and then come back and live up to your enormous potential on either tour. The millions will be there.

4. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Afraid it may already have begun.

5. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

I love how her dad says in Sports Illustrated that he couldn't stop her from playing against the men if he wanted. Bull-fucking-shit. Who is this bozo trying to kid. I had no problem with her playing against the men in the beginning but it's time to start beating the women now and quit being a sideshow.

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

The same advice applies to Donald Young, 16-year-old "next great American" tennis player who keeps taking wild cards into ATP Tour events and keeps looking like a boy among men. Has won something like one set out of 24 against the big guys.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

You know who will stop it, will be NIKE. They can't be too happy with the exposure she's getting, completely failing again and again and again.

8. It was certainly the caddie's fault. You always get some bad MoJo after you do something that stupid and fireing Greg was probably the most ignorant thing those people could do...great caddie with loads of wins. And it's always funny when stupid-ass broadcasters try to bullshit into believing that one caddie was better than the other. I heard a Golf Channel guy say last week that her new caddie had quite a bit of experience and imply that she was better off. No bullshit on the first part, Andy's a good caddie, but injecting that crap into the coverage was horse shit. Greg's had countless wins and top 5's on Tour not only with Inkster, but ladies he worked with on his weeks off.

She's been a side-show for two years, congrats to the PGA Tour for capitalizing on the stupidity of these people.

9. This whole thing is ridiculous. Annika Sorenstam is among the greatest female golfers in history, but even she couldn't make the cut in a men's event.

Let Wie get some LPGA skins on the wall, or at least against players her own age, before she goes for the gusto.

And what the hell kind of comment was that by her batshit-crazy father? "I couldn't stop her from playing against the men even if I wanted to"? Hey, idiot, YOU'RE HER FATHER. Yes, you can stop her. And you should.

10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

This isn't done yet.

Wie's the clubhouse leader at 14 over, but don't count out darkhorse Paul Stankowski, who's only three stokes at +11, on the fifth hole.

11. Double J

Double J Active Member

Stankowski, if you get beaten by Wie, it's time to hang them up and go into the insurance business.

12. Gold

Gold Active Member

Michelle Wie sure looks washed up to me. Boy, she's awful. She's only finished in the top five of LPGA events five times in 2006 and three times in 2005.

Lyman, Wie's father can't control his daughter's ambition. And even if he could say no to playing in men's PGA events, why should he? It helps her compete and it's an enjoyable week. She plays a limited schedule. My brother somehow managed to get his driver's license when my father hadn't given permission - Dad wasn't happy but it wasn't the end of the world. Same brother also snuck into an R movie when he was 15, and my mom wasn't happy about that - she also wasn't happy because he paid full price. You can't control everything teenagers do.

Draft saved Draft deleted