1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I am not seeing much mention of public keypads, which ought to be avoided in the best of times.
    Recall seeing a story years ago about a forensic analysis of one random ATM.
    Loaded with fecal matter.

This doesn't even account for the currency we handle every day.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2020
  2. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

I now have a pump bottle off Purell sanitizer in my car.
    After every errand stop, the hands and face get a good dousing.

That (reported) fecal matter on keypads and now those stupid kiosks alarms me.
    No reason to panic, but my hands do go to my face a lot. Hard to change that.

3. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Yes - same here, bad habit.
    I am also a nailbiter. That has been very hard to avoid.
    Really worried this shit eventually will hop onto our pets.

4. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Baby Jeebus doesn't love me that much.

5. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Our health insurance is through UAB. My wife retired from there. As a result, our approved medical provider list leans very heavily to UAB affiliated offices. It's a renowned research hospital and medical school. All of which is to frame just how amazed I am that this isn't on their radar yet. Had an office visit yesterday, and all the offices have an electronic check in kiosk - scan your driver's license and insurance card, make any needed changes, then swipe your card and pay the co-pay.

God only knows how many people touch these daily or what they carry, but they're just there. No box of disinfectant wipes, no hand sanitizer nearby. Sanitizer is available in the office, of course, but nothing additional for the current threat.

6. Neutral Corner

7. Neutral Corner

Scary thread here. No preparation, no leadership. If this virus is truly bad we're already fucked and don't even know it.

8. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

This all really puts daily life into perspective.

Went to a screening of Joker at the local second-run cinema last night. The place was crowded and well, the film wasn't worth any risk of catching the virus.

9. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

I’m a little cranky with our veterinarian’s office. Even with all of this Coronavirus stuff going around, they wouldn’t sell me one of those cone-of-shame thingies to keep me from touching my face. They said that they didn’t have one that was big enough.

I think that they are probably hoarding them for themselves.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2020
  10. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

NC’s eaten his fair share of squirrel and rock soup, but he’s known some lean times as well.

swingline likes this.
  11. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

12. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

In a movie I saw a few months ago, Kate Winslet's character said people touch their faces/heads an average of 2,000 times a day. I thought that sounded preposterous, but then I noticed how often — in a very short amount of time — I touched my face by blowing my nose, scratching an itch, rubbing an eye or whatever. And then it didn't sound so preposterous.

Draft saved Draft deleted