1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Championship Game Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Jan 22, 2024.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

28-24 Chiefs
    34-30 Lions

Both games will be “bangers” as the kids say.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

AFC referee: Shawn Smith
    NFC referee: Clete Blakeman

3. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

My guess on Super Bowl R

Vinovich.

MileHigh likes this.
  4. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I’d like to see the early game be Saturday Night.
    Late game Sunday at 3:30 est.

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Nah. No short week for conference title game. And 6:30 p.m. EST is a sweet spot. I'll give the NFL credit there for doing the Sunday doubleheaders in the divisional and conference championship games at 3 p.m. EST and 6:30 p.m. EST. It gives it flexibility since games don't start before noon local time. If these matchups were last year or next year, the early game would be in Santa Clara at noon PST and the late game in Baltimore at 6:30 p.m. EST.

In January 2009, NFC title game was in Arizona at 1 p.m. MST. In a dome. AFC title game was in bitter cold in Pittsburgh at 6:30 p.m. EST. Because, well, it's all about the fans.

2muchcoffeeman and Liut like this.
  6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I thought both games yesterday were interesting from the refs perspective - some challenging calls, expertly adjudicated and the games kept moving.

Niners 35-20
    Ravens 31-17.

Of course, ask me after they submit the injury report. A lot of players hurt this weekend - on top of those already playing hurt. It must truly suck to work your ass off since you were a kid, be this close to playing in a Super Bowl, and be out this week and see a dude who is your back-up get the start (and having to root for him to do well in the hopes you will recover in time to play in Vegas).

I know they don't consider themselves rivals, but Harbaugh v. Reid is always a great coaching match-up worth watching. McVay-Shanahan is similar. That they have such a history and know each other/tendancies etc. so well makes you wonder if they ever overthink things.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2024
  7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Rematch.

IMG_8432.jpeg

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I'll be very surprised if the Lions win. No result in the AFC game would surprise me.

9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Was letting the other thread breathe for a day before starting this one, but ...

Sunday
    Kansas City at Baltimore (-3.5/44.5), 3, CBS
    Detroit at San Francisco (-7/50.5), 630, FOX

TigerVols likes this.
  10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I would certainly lay the points with the 49ers. I would take the Chiefs on the grounds of how many times are you ever going to get to bet Mahomes AND the points.

Batman likes this.
  11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

49ers-Chiefs, with the winner getting eternal rights to the NIL of ol’ No. 16.

12. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

history rhymes and stuff

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted