1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Op-Ed designer at Boston Globe

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by POKES, Apr 14, 2015.

1. POKES

POKES New Member

There is actually a very good reason why I'm posting this job to a sports board. I'll get to that in a second ...

We're about to launch a redesign of our daily op-ed pages as we continue to explore new ways of redefining print and digital opinion journalism in every visual way we can. We're a very tight, mirthful, supportive team that functions with the agile flexibility of a small newspaper but with the benefits of a major daily.

Back to the sports board situation: As a veteran of sports design and now op-ed, I'm continually surprised at how similar the sections are: Both are a mix of breaking news and features, long-form storytelling and tidbit presentation, hyper-reality and conceptual storytelling. Oh, but in op-ed the hours are way better.

I'll attach our official job posting following this. If you're interested, please contact AME design Dan Zedek at Dan.Zedek@globe.com or myself at Heather.Hopp-Bruce@globe.com (I'm the op-ed design supervisor).

Opinion section designer at The Boston Globe
    We’re looking for a powerful, stylish designer to design our innovative new opinion section, a highly-visual daily spread loaded with attitude in the writing and visuals. As the Opinion designer, you’ll work closely and collaboratively with editors, writers, and columnists and participate in brainstorming all aspects of coverage and presentation. The job is fast-paced, collaborative, and a lot of fun. You should have at least five years design experience, fluency with infographics, and be a close and careful reader. Although primarily a print job, experience creating interactive graphics is a big plus. We’re looking for smart, diverse designers for a smart, diverse city. Send PDFs or links to work samples along with a resume and a letter outlining your interests and experience to Dan Zedek, Assistant Managing Editor/Design.
    About Our Company
    Boston Globe Media is just that — a media company. We are not a newspaper business, but a company whose entire mission is to change the newspaper business. We are an aggressive, entrepreneurial minded digital operation with a range of highly trafficked platforms like BostonGlobe.com, Boston.com,BetaBoston.com and BDCWire.com at our disposal. Those platforms are the future of media in a town whose voice is like no other.
    And we are growing — fast. With a foundation in leading-edge technology and data-driven product development, we are rapidly building a team that is as obsessed as we are with innovation and change. The decision to join this team is thus the choice to be at the start of something bigger, something scarier, than the work any of us has done before. But that is how everything great begins.
    Boston Globe Media is an equal employment opportunity employer, and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, age, disability, national origin, citizenship or any other protected characteristic. Boston Globe Media is committed to diversity in its most inclusive sense.
    [​IMG]

2. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

If only I had made more infographics....

3. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

I'm thinking the same thing. EXCELLENT paper, even with all the upheavals in our industry.

4. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

Would experience with graphic design be acceptable even if it isn't actual infographics?

Draft saved Draft deleted