1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oswalt to Phils? ... The trade-deadline thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spnited, Jul 29, 2010.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

Astros and Phils have agreed to a deal. just awaiting Oswalt waiving his no-trade.
    Aparently, Stros with also pay part of the money Oswalt is owed and will get JA Happ and two prospects, including Class A 1B Jonathon Singleton, 18-year-old power hitter.

Also rumors of Yanks and Rays in a bidding war for Adam Dunn and the Marlins supposedly bing ready to move Jorge Cantu.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

No one can get anything for anyone anymore.

3. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Yankees apparently dangling Joba to get Scott Downs, who will most definitely be traded. As a Jays fanboi looser should I be excited about getting Joba?

Lotta discussion here about whether the Jays should trade Jose Bautista. His value will never be higher and they will ask for plenty for him. If the deal is right, I'd do it.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

Toronto bar owners should be excited about Joba coming to town.

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

History is littered with teams ripped for being stupid and/or cheap by trading a name player for prospects.

And watching the name player fizzle in a year or two while one of the prospects becomes a 10-year All-Star.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

I question the Phils giving up Happ for a guy who's 33 next month and could break down at any tme

7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I still think they were stupid to give up Cliff Lee in the first place, although I could see why they wanted to.

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

The players who have been traded in recent years are much more than name players -- CC Sabathia, Roy Halladay, Victor Martinez, rumored Roy Oswalt, rumored Prince Fielder, Cliff Lee, Cliff Lee, Cliff Lee. They are top-of-the-line guys.

The heralded trades that brought the prospects weren't for players of that caliber. Doyle Alexander for John Smoltz, Larry Anderson for Jeff Bagwell. That's more along the lines of the recent Scott Podsednik to the Dodgers for a couple of minor leaguers.

Now the best in the game are being traded for lottery tickets.

9. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Like Doyle Alexander for John Smoltz.

Although Alexander was 9-0 with a 1.53 ERA for the Tigers in 1987.

Just found something out about that trade: Alexander was only 5-10 with a 4.13 ERA for Atlanta that year. Talk about turning it around quickly with a new team.

10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Happ was unbelievably lucky last year. .270 BABIP. But even more telling, a .141 BABIP in high-leverage situations. He stranded 85 percent of his runners, best in the N.L. Very mediocre SO/BB. High home run rate. His upside, at his age, is probably minimal. In fact, we've likely already seen it.

At some point, that luck runs out. Big-time. He's not going to be John Smoltz. Not close.

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

Yup, making good pitches and getting batters out in clutch situations is all luck.
    Oh, I forgot. Sabermetrics doesn't believe in clutch situations. Every at-bat, every pitch is exactly the same.

12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

You're right. J.A. Happ has a remarkable, unique ability - which no pitcher in baseball history has ever had - to turn all major league hitters into the equivalent of the worst hitting pitchers when runners get into scoring position.

Draft saved Draft deleted