1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Outdoors/Sports, Nampa, Idaho

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Angola!, Jul 7, 2006.

1. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Company: Idaho Press-Tribune
    Position: Outdoors Editor/Sports Reporter
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Not Specified
    Ad Expires: August 10, 2006
    Job ID: 657126

Description:
    Outdoors Editor/sports reporter: Bring your creative edge and multitasking abilities to the Idaho Press-Tribune where you can wear two hats.
    The job will be 20 hours covering games, writing and copy editing in a wide range of sports — primarily high school athletics. The other 20 hours will be as the Outdoors Editor, writing, designing daily Outdoors page and leading a team of local correspondents. We are an award-winning daily newspaper in one of the Northwest’s fastest-growing areas. Your journalism degree (or equivalent experience) and knowledge of both outdoors and sports will land you this job. QuarkXPress experience desired and InDesign experience a plus as we will switch programs soon.

Our circulation is growing in Nampa, 20 miles west of Boise, and the editorial department just moved into a new newsroom equipped with G5s on the copy desk along with Adobe CS2.

E-mail your cover letter, three sample designs (pdfs) and resume to vholbrook@idahopress.com.

The quality of life in the Treasure Valley — nearing 600,000 people — offers a wide range of activities, including: Multiple ski resorts within short driving range, hunting and fishing, four professional sports teams, a vibrant nightlife that spans five cities, some of the best hiking, mountain biking, rafting and camping destinations in the country and numerous top-notch golf courses.

2. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Good area, decent little paper but will always be in the shadows of the Boise paper.

Being able to split duties like that would be a dream job for me.

3. House

House Guest

Former staffer told me a lot of people jumped ship a few years back when the publisher slashed salaries by 25 percent. Don't know how true that is.

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

They have a new publisher and ad revenue is through the roof, that said, raises are a rarity and they pay piss to start with.

5. CornFlakes

CornFlakes Member

They also don't have a beat person assigned to the ONLY sport people in the Treasure Valley care about ---- Boise State football.

6. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Yes they do. Phil Dailey was assigned to the BSU football beat last season and Jesse Zentz, who is now at the Idaho Statesman, did it the year before that.
    They cover BSU football pretty well, though I think most of their readers wish they could get more daily stuff. Phil does a good job, though.

7. CornFlakes

CornFlakes Member

OK, I apologize. Thanks for reporting some progress at that paper.

I went through the area a few years back during football season and was shocked how that paper had nothing on back-to-back days when the whole area was Blue and Orange and the talk show was nonstop Boise State calls. The person I know who saw the paper regularly told me that was the norm for them in terms of not covering Boise State.

8. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Yeah, they went through a couple of "beat" reporters before finally getting a couple of good ones and stepping up their coverage. They do a full on GameDay section now that I think is 6-8 pages. The biggest weakness I see, is not letting the BSU beat writer concentrate only on BSU, they still have to do prep football, volleyball and other fall sports.

9. House

House Guest

Like any good small daily. ;D

Thanks for the update.

Draft saved Draft deleted