1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Personal athletic resumes

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by spikechiquet, Feb 19, 2012.

1. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

I'm sure since we all love sports that most of us must have played sports as kids...what are your personal resumes?

I played hockey growing up (goalie and defense mostly) then gave up in 7th grade to try BMX since my friend and cousins were into it.
    In 9th grade tried out for QB and blew my knee out and didn't recover until my junior year where I played 1 season of varsity basketball. I was known as "5" since I was good for five fouls and that's about it...
    I was video coordinator of the D-II football team my sophomore year of college and spent time kicking FGs and catching punts with the kickers/punters during downtime (and actually out-kicked the starting kicker in practice once with a 37-yard boot....the starting kicker was also the starting running back, we rarely kicked FGs since we had the top punter in the country at the time who actually got looks from the Jets and Packers once he graduated)
    I got back into playing hockey in college with the intramural league.
    Since then I play a ton of slowpitch softball in the summer and have done so since I was 14 or so. Last year I drove 2 hours one way to play with a team of friends...so I am a little dedicated....and they needed me to pitch at times.

2. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

I started sexting when I was five.

3. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I performed dick tricks at a party sometime in 1994.

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I started staring creepily at girls at age 6. It's a skill I'm still trying to perfect.

5. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Once in fifth grade, I broke up with a girl before lunch and then picked her off behind the ear from third base to first on a kickball grounder. It received raucous chants from the other boys.

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Played high school football, offensive and defensive line. Was a part-time starter as a sophomore but missed about half of my junior year and about a third of my senior year with knee injuries that required surgery (torn ACL in right, torn meniscus in left). I had decent athleticism, but didn't take the weight room seriously so I wasn't as good as I should have been.

Played summer league baseball all the way up through age 15. Could hit OK and field pretty well, but couldn't throw for shit. Tried out for my high school team as a junior, but didn't make it.

Played all kinds of intramural sports in college. Probably my greatest individual moment was catching a touchdown pass in a 6-0 victory in the first flag football game of my freshman year.

Haven't done anything athletically competitive since then, other than the occasional company picnic softball game.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I got my first real newspaper job when the preps editor from the local paper came out to do a football "player of the week" on me and one of the questions was "what do you want to be when you grow up?" And I said a sportswriter. I was taking prep agate a few weeks later, and this was a pretty big paper.

So I was on the paper's payroll when it named me all-city.

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

End-of-the-bench varsity baseball player. Nine career at-bats, I believe. Played in a men's fast-pitch league in my mid-20s. for three years. Most fun I've ever had in sports by far.

Freshman football. Hated it. Too small. Too slow.

Easy cut in basketball for two winters before I got the hint.

Have run several marathons and half-marathons in adulthood, though it's been about five years or so since the last one.

Weekend golf warrior who can get into the mid-80s at the local muni when I'm in a playing-a-lot groove.

Intramural hoops, flag football, and softball in college.

9. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

MVP of my high school soccer team and played a few years after that in the state organization. Played stopper in HS but moved forward later and scored some pretty nice goals.

Varsity baseball, hit about .270. Could chase and catch fly balls all over the outfield but didn't have enough of an arm.

Have a hole-in-one in golf but only broke 80 once. Had to shoot 1-under 35 on the back to do it after a 44 on the front.

Bowled one 300 game and had an 812 series that same night in 2004. Had the 300 in the first game and had the first 10 strikes in the second game before leaving a 10-pin. Needed 212 for the 800 series and rolled 224. I still think about how much I might have been crapping my pants if that 10 pin had gone down and I could have had a shot at consecutive 300s. Averaged 211 that season and over 200 for a couple more years. Now age makes it tough.

Played slow-pitch softball up till I turned 50 a year-and-a-half ago. Might get back on the team this year if I win the lottery and don't have to work. :D

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

My parents divorced when I was young, so I was always doing something from a pretty young age.

Football was my best sport by far. I had scholarship offers from most of the shifty, non BCS conference schools. One of the places where I took an official visit got rid of its program a couple years later. UNLV, Fresno State, a few other WAC schools...

I played basketball for two years, but was awful. I played legion baseball until I was 16.

11. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

What position did you play?

12. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Growing up I played everything, but I guess the thing I was best at was duckpin bowling. Finished top three at a couple national (only like eight states have it) adult-youthl tournaments and won some scholarship money.
    In high school I was an all-division tennis player and played volleyball and swam my senior year for the hell of it. My highlights were limited, because I played the worst match of my life my senior year in tennis in the quarterfinals; in volleyball, I had a chance to put down a crucial point, but let it land because I thought it was going to go out. It landed on the line, the officials didn't see it, but we ended up losing the replayed point.
    In college, I played intramurals. My flag football team did OK freshman year, lost the school title sophomore year, then went undefeated my final two years. In my senior year we won the Northeast Regional championship - viciously hungover, where we beat a team of baseball players from Bowling Green - and earned a big to nationals.
    But the highlight was in my junior year when I caught what must have been my third or fourth TD. My QB told me one of the pass rushers watched as I crossed the goal line and said "How the fuck is the fattest kid on the field killing us?"

Draft saved Draft deleted