1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Personal athletic resumes

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by spikechiquet, Feb 19, 2012.

1. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Ran a 5:40 mile as a freshman in high school and an 11:48 two mile in a road race as a junior.

Went downhill from there. Ran in college, but the competition was far too good. Also walked onto the baseball team for a small Division III school and was a .250 lifetime hitter. Good fielder, though.

2. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

81-yard touchdown run on the last play of the half in seventh-grade football for the only score of the game. It made me a junior high star -- for about three days. Peaked when I was 13. Oh well.

3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I've won a couple of open chess tournaments. I was scholastic bowl conference MVP in high school.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

o__/

5. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Did you choke in regionals?

6. sportbook

sportbook Member

Played as a reserve on a high school football team that was in the USA Today top 25 poll.

Four-time letterwinner in swimming on a horrible team.

Cut from baseball as a freshman. Played catcher on the JV team as a sophomore and sat most of the season until I finally got a chance and was 5-for-12. Actually once got called for a catcher's balk. Made varsity as a junior and was 1-for-3. Did not play as a senior.

Played club lacrosse at a major Division I school but the quality of play was poor. Played summer league outdoor and box lax in New York with and against a lot of DI kids.

Became a MUCH better athlete in college as I got bigger, stronger, and tougher. Probably a blessing as I likely would have gone to play something at a DIII school instead of just going to school at a major institution.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

My football career started and ended in eighth grade, I was a 120-pound lineman. The moron old-man coach on the first day of practice split everyone into two groups: experienced players and newcomers. All newcomers were forced to be linemen. Thanks, coach.

Ran on three state-champion high school cross country teams. Well, I ran during the week in practice. Never scored a meet point.

Attending a private high school did me no favors otherwise. Golf team was country-club kids; I'll never forget how embarrassing that tryout was. Fortunately I'm light-years better at golf at 37 than I was at 17.

Not sure if shooting pool counts as athletic, but it was a darn good way to put extra money in my pocket after work at my $16,000 first newspaper gig.

8. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Sounds like conflict of interest to me!!!

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Well how could you get more coverage when you refused to talk to the reporter tying to interview you?!

[crossthread/]

10. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Part of a solid HS basketball team (five played college, two Division I). Sectional final. I am fully outmatched. My line: 0 pts, 1 reb, 3 fouls in 12 minutes.

Tie game. 63-63. Opponents ball. 11 seconds left. The coach sends me in with the sole purpose of drawing a foul on the inbounds play. (clean game and neither team in the bonus)

Amid the grappling of six players jammed up in the post on the inbounds play, i get tangled up and choose to take an exaggerated dive, flying ten feet out of the pile on my ass.

Whistle. Foul called on the opponent, a future Big 8/Big 12 player who scored about 17 on me to this point.

I come out of the game to high fives and applause.

Our ball. Our shooting guard hits at the buzzer. Ballgame.

And *I* was the guy carried off the court. Madness.

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Played football in 8th, 9th & 10th grades but mostly rode the bench. Ran track in HS.

Played one year of JV baseball in college. Decent outfielder, couldn't hit a lick.

12. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

knee surgery and then a compound ankle fracture effing around at the dorm ended my baseball days as a college freshman. took up drinking beer at that point and was all-american at that.

Draft saved Draft deleted