1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Personal athletic resumes

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by spikechiquet, Feb 19, 2012.

1. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Keep in mind I went to a tiny, rural high school where just about every able-bodied boy was expected to go out for "all three" sports -- football, basketball and track.

I started for our 8-man football team junior and senior year and was a four-year varsity player in basketball, starting the last two and making all-league as a senior. For the most part, the football played in rural Kansas isn't close to the level played at bigger schools in bigger towns, but there is some decent basketball played in the middle of nowhere. My friends and I all played in summer leagues and at camps with kids from all over, a lot who played college ball, and we could play with them and we had a winning record against bigger classification schools my four years.

In track, I barely qualified for regionals as a sophomore and was seeded something like 12th in the 3200, but for some reason during that race I figured out it wouldn't kill me to run as hard as I could for two miles. I finished second, beating several people that had been beating me all year, and qualified for state. The next week I medaled at state. I was all-state in the 1600 and 3200 my junior and senior years and got a scholarship to run track and cross country at a juco.

My sophomore year in college I was an NJCAA Academic All-American, which I still put on my resume :D

2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Football and baseball all four years. I wasn't the star of the team, by any measure, but I was lucky enough to play on some good fucking football teams. Two football championships, including one undefeated season. 52 wins in four seasons. Missed another championship by an extra point.

Basketball three years. Hit eight three-pointers in one half, and then my best friend hit 10 in the second. Picked off a ball at half court, tried to dunk (at 5-5, mind you), but got stuck on the rim. We wound up winning by like 30, but were only up five or six at the time. Coach called a timeout just to take me out of the game. After the timeout, he looked at me and yelled, "what the hell were you doing?" "Trying to get the crowd into it," I said. "Well get 'em into it from over here," he replied.

Threw a no-hitter in the boys 16-18 league. And lost. Walked a guy in the 9th, which was followed up by two errors. Thanks, guys.

Played a little college ball, but the NCAA didn't like my GPA and recreational drug usage.

Have run two miles in 10:50 (albeit a very, very long time and many pounds ago). I struggle to run those same two miles in under 15-flat, now. But I can still do 80 push-ups and 90 sit-ups in two minutes (Army physical fitness test).

3. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

I played football through high school, played offensive center all the way through and defensive line and linebacker most of the way. I got an honorable mention for the city all-star team on defense one year, was recruited to play for a regional team on offence as a senior, and was named my school's top lineman a couple times. I served as captain a few years. I had a few universities interested in me, but chose one that dropped its program the year I went. I knew I wanted to be a journalist and decided not to transfer because I felt I should stay at J-skool — missed the boat there! I still have a form letter from Lloyd Carr addressing me as a top prospect, though it was more to entice me to go to a summer skills camp than to express real interest.

I also played hockey growing up. I didn't start skating until I was nine, and it took me about three years to catch up. I had a few good years because I grew quicker than most. I had good hands and a hard shot, but my skating was never that great. Later, I played high school hockey on a line with two guys who ended up playing Jr. B, but I think I was their linemate because they'd hide my inept performances rather than because I was good enough to skate with them.

When I was in seventh grade, I finished in the top five in my school in the 100m dash - which was pretty good for the resident fat kid at the time. I ran relay for my school that year. In high school, I did some shotput and discus. Placed top 10 in both in our area, but not good enough to go anywhere with it.

I also played a bit of ball, I caught, but it was more for the fun of it than anything.

Now I just play some rec sports here and there, but I do stay involved. I coached youth football and later high school football, I convened a Jr. C hockey league for four years, and I have managed a Jr. C hockey team for three, and have sat on several provincial junior hockey committees.

4. doogie448

doogie448 Member

Dodgeball champ 8th grade. Hit 3 holes-in-one playing mini golf. I'll take all the money in your wallet playing poker. That's the list.

5. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Oh, I also won the standing long-jump in kindergarden...forgot about that accomplishment!

6. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Baseball was my best sport when I was little. Hit .540 my 12-year-old year ... but in the minors. Our Little League was very competitive on the state level, and the major league managers didn't want to give a roster spot to somebody they'd only have for one year.

Was a solid, unspectacular first baseman through Senior Division and into Legion ball, which I played for two years. Best moment was an out -- a 410-foot fly out to the deepest reaches of center field in our ballpark. My friends and I went out the next day and measured it.

Played football for one week as an eighth-grader, quit and never played again. I hated to run. Will always regret I didn't stick it out.

Threw javelin my junior year of high school. Didn't go out my senior year. Still hated to run. Probably blew a spot throwing in invitationals, districts, etc., by doing that.

Basketball, I got pretty good at it after high school. My last three years in college, I consistently played and held my own against the school's D-II players in daily lunchtime games at our field house. Never dunked, but was close. More than anything, I was an outstanding long-range shooter just before the 3-point arc.

Golf, I played a lot in my 20s and 30s. Hit an amazing 78 one day when everything clicked. Usually more like low 90s. Still hope to get back into it now that I'm getting around good again.

In early 40s, late 30s, I had my bowling average up to 205. Came within one 4-pin of a perfect game once.

7. three_bags_full

JR goes out to shoot a few hoops.

[​IMG]

8. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Nothing spectacular, but have had a lot of fun playing sports.

Played two years of varsity football on both sides of the line. Actually started out as a JV tight end, but since my school ran option, I caught exactly one pass and blocked the rest of the time. Despite this, I still love to watch teams run the option.

Had a spiral fracture of my lower left leg in the first game of my senior year. Still have the metal plate. Unfortunately, it does not set off metal detectors at airports.

Played baseball from tee ball through Babe Ruth league (when I was 15). Decided against playing Legion ball and have regretted it ever since. Have played softball and even in a hardball men's league in my 20s and 30s and loved both, even though my arm is shot these days.

Currently? I still play tennis occasionally, golf a couple times a year, enjoy playing pick-up basketball from time to time, and try to jog/swim when I can for exercise. Am hoping to do a road race or two and/or an open water swim event this summer. We'll see.

9. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

After an unremarkable high school career playing some football, a little freshman basketball and a lot of bad baseball on bad teams, I had an interesting choice as an 18-year-old back for a final summer of American Legion baseball following my freshman year in college:
    1. I could be a player/coach for one of the teams.
    2. I could pick up a few bucks stringing games I wasn't playing in.

They weren't necessarily mutually exclusive but I chose the latter, only. I was a "free agent" because my team from the previous summer had been dissolved and moved into the zone of a team that was a year removed from the Legion World Series. They cherry picked our two best guys (a future pro and a future D-I college player) and the rest of us could go to any other team in our league that would take us.

I chose the team I thought was better over the team that wanted me to help coach. And we were decent that summer. Had fun, played on an above-average team that had a couple of future (but young) D-I college players, one of whom had a mother who I turned my expense sheets into when I became a full-timer at the local paper.

And the day after we were eliminated from the Shaughnessy Tournament after going 2-2, I strung the championship game for the local paper and made, oh, probably $25 for it (this was the old days, mind you).

* As an adult, I hit a home run in an adult baseball league off a guy who had been a Red Sox prospects years before (didn't matter to me that he was 25 years my elder).

* I banked in a game-winning shot at the buzzer to help my church league basketball team full of ringers beat the other church league power full of ringers one winter night. I did not call glass because I had not intended for the ball to go off glass. Timmy Duncan, I am not. But in three Catholic League adult seasons, my teams won the league championship twice and I played on several unbeaten church league teams for a protestant church (I was a church league mercenary).

* I picked up a 9-iron one day at a local muni and, on a goof, knocked a ball on within 2 feet of the cup on a par-3 island hole. I wasn't playing that day. A couple of buddies of mine were meeting at the course to meet a buddy who worked in the pro shop before going to happy hour.

Anyway, having never played before, I decided golf was easy. Then I went and played an actual round. Then another, and another. Decided golf was anything but easy. Have not played since.

* I'll run a 10k because I enjoy running 10k, which makes me an odd character. But if we are playing pick-up hoops, you better get me in the first game or maybe the second game, because in the third game you won't be able to run the floor with me.

* I used to go to the gym after teams I covered would have pro days and I'd try to measure up to them in 225-pound bench press reps. I could hold my own with many of them. However, I could not, in my wildest dreams, even want to see how I measured up in the 40.

That about covers it, I think.

10. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Church-league competition is pretty cool. In our town, the big church-league thing was fast-pitch softball. And there were some scary-good pitchers who happened to be pastors.

11. three_bags_full

There's a joke about underhanded preachers in there somewhere. I'm just too lazy to dig it out.

12. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

There were several very good basketball players in our city's church league. A lot of guys were refugees from the city league because the city league had grown too rough-and-tumble. What they'd struggle with in the church league was separating the highly-competitive teams from the purely recreational ones.

In our town, I played for an Assembly of God church (never set foot in it and I'm of the firm belief that people in the AOG church are a bit odd) a friend went to and we'd typically have 2-3 three former college players on the team, two of whom were over 6-6. A local Evangelical African-American church was LOADED with good players (that's who I banked in the game-winner against). They'd also bring a crowd of a couple hundred fans and they wore real uniforms, where our general rule was to find a Navy blue shirt with a number on it and a pair of shorts and you're fine. And the big Southern Baptist church had a loaded team too.

But the team that was always the hardest to beat was the Episcopalian church. They had about 7-8 guys, all over 30 and most over 40, who were downtown professionals, mostly attorneys and accountants, who would meet every day at the Y and play pick-up games during their lunch hours. A couple had played at modestly high levels (one had been a D-I walk on and one had played at some tiny college) but man they'd play like they practiced together for years. They hadn't really practiced, they just played together about 4 times a week at the Y.

You know the stereotypes of the old guys at the Y being the toughest to beat. That was certainly true in this case. I recall a building contractor who was 6-1 at the most, but man he'd eat up the 6-6 former college players in the paint. He'd shoot 10 free throws a game because he was so strong and so full of moves. The guy was like 45, but had no fear.

Those were fun times. Much later, I joined that Y and played in those pickup games (and quit playing in leagues).

Draft saved Draft deleted