1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Publications/websites that take pitches/inquiries from young journalists?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by journo2525, Mar 19, 2018.

1. journo2525

journo2525 New Member

I am a young journalist, less than a year out of college. I have some good clips and a few semi-notable interviews, a few awards and work at a very small newspaper covering high school and D3 sports. I covered mid-major D1 sports for a few years during college.

I'm trying to further launch my career and get my name out there by freelancing. However, I'm having a hard time finding emails/other ways to contact people who I can pitch to from different publications.

I also have an interest in music writing and have found some notable websites in that realm have emails listed on their site to which you can pitch stories if you look hard enough. That hasn't really been the case so far with sports, but I think maybe I'm just not looking in the right places/aiming too high.

What are some sports publications/websites that have decent credibility that a young journalist would at least have a chance to send out a pitch to and see what happens? Any recommendations on starting a sports freelance side-career for a young person with a decent resume and clips?

2. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Aren't there emails of editors, reporters, etc listed in most newspapers or magazines? What publications are you having difficulty with?

Draft saved Draft deleted