1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reporter Arrested While Covering News Conference in Ohio

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mr. X, Feb 9, 2023.

1. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

2. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Oh look, no responses.

Pearlman was right about the board.

3. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

I apologize on behalf of the rest of the board for not posting on your timeline.

I guess you didn't respond because you were too busy on your next post wishing for the death of Republican politicians.

SixToe and dixiehack like this.
  4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Pretty bad.

So I expect nothing to be done about it. Because it happens all the time.

https://www.niemanlab.org/2020/06/w...ce-attacks-on-journalists-across-the-country/

A Wall Street Journal reporter was handcuffed by police while standing outside a Chase Bank. The newspaper is demanding answers | CNN Business

https://www.voanews.com/a/press-fre...rested-covering-us-protests-year/6199578.html

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...erguson-arrest-and-threaten-more-journalists/

https://slate.com/news-and-politics...olice-injure-arrest-journalists-protests.html

Journalist Alan Weisman arrested, strip-searched while covering anti-pipeline protest in Minnesota - Committee to Protect Journalists

I was there the night this happened:

https://pen.org/press-clip/officials-journalists-among-those-arrested-during-zuccotti-park/

Spent the weekend on the phone with Walz's office and the Department of Public Safety while this was happening:

Minnesota Governor Calls Alleged Assaults on Journalists ‘Chilling’ (Published 2021)

Minnesota governor expresses regret for mistreatment of journalists during Daunte Wright demonstrations | CNN

CNN crew released from police custody after they were arrested live on air in Minneapolis | CNN

Journalists Settle Suit Over Mistreatment Covering Protests Following Killings Of George Floyd, Daunte Wright

Things might be a little worse since Trump's 'enemy of the people' campaign. But government violence and wrongful arrest of the press goes back to the founding

https://www.rcfp.org/espionage-act-used-directly-against-press/

Alien and Sedition Acts (1798)

Last edited: Feb 9, 2023
  5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I honestly wonder if the press has enough juice these days, or would have enough will to defend a Penatgon Papers typle legal challenge. Something like this should require the officers to take (or re-take) a six-hour course on civil liberties. And pass a test before returning to the streets.

6. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

They'll die when they die, but I haven't posted as such since the mods said not to. Pay attention.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Things change. You're gonna see less activity on a "Journalism Topics" board when there are fewer journalists. Wasn't exactly intentional.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2023
  8. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I would have been more outraged if the governor had not said it appeared to be poorly handled. To me, that was at least something.

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

In this case, it read like this was some idiot police officers, not something that Mike DeWine sanctioned or knew was happening.

But there's no way to know for sure if that is what was really happening.

What bothers me about this. ... is that I collect instances of police officers violating people's civil rights, often it is one of those "first amendment auditors," some of whom are actually kind of dicks trying to provoke the cops. The way it has played out often is wiht the police and the town or city getting sued. They then usually refuse to admit what they did was wrong. But when it gets close to a trial, they suddenly settle and pay the person -- sometimes it is in the tens of thousnads or hundreds of thousands of dollars. In many cases, the person insists that they publicly acknowledge that what they did was wrong and make a show of putting policies in place to "educate" their police officers.

Every time it happens that way, I am sitting here saying, "Well the voters in that place should see all the money this cost them, and vote for changes." But most people pay absolutely no attention and don't give a shit. ... and things never change.

I feel like we always reap what we are sowing.

Azrael likes this.
  11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Not a lot of constitutional scholars on the Scorpion Team or the governor's protective detail.

It's always easy to offer the apology after the heads have been cracked. And as brother Ragu points out, assuage the loud few - other journalists mostly, rarely ever the public - with a cash settlement.

A lot of us at the Committee to Protect Journalists and PEN and other free press orgs were on the phone with the Minnesota governor's office and the state police in real time while journalists were being assaulted and arrested in Brooklyn Center. Told them what we were seeing and hearing and to get their cops in line.

Got a contrite public apology from the governor after the fact instead - but by then every head had been cracked. Meaningless.

After which, thanks to the ACLU, the payout.

Same thing will happen again next time.

And again.

And again.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2023
  12. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

Azrael likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted