1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Cale Yarborough, NASCAR Hall of Famer

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by maumann, Dec 31, 2023.

1. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

misterbc likes this.
  2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

During this morning's walk I was workshopping a chat about old timey racing and Cale was one of the names I brought up.

As a kid Cale Yarborough was one of the first racing names that stuck.

3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

A good ol' boy racer to his rest. RIP.

maumann and franticscribe like this.
  4. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

There was a time in NASCAR when everybody knew which driver you were referring to when you just used their first name or nickname.

Fonty, Fireball, Curtis, Junior, Lee, Ned, Richard, David, Cale, LeeRoy, Darrell, Junior, Bobby, Donnie, Wendell, Handsome Harry, Million Dollar Bill, Neil, Ricky, Davey, etc.

That would be a fun Spotify.

5. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

49ers struggling with the Commanders. Not looking like SB favorites.

6. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

RIP to no neck Cale.
    He was a heck of a short track driver, and the qualifying lap/flip at Talladega is legendary.
    He gave Waltrip the nickname Jaws, and helped put NASCAR on the map with the fight.

maumann likes this.
  7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

RIP. I wish we'd heard more from him in his later years. Pearson wasn't at the track, but I feel like he'd talk. Petty is still there nearly every week. After his team went belly up, Cale just walked away.

maumann likes this.
  8. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Ah….the old Hardees #28
    Best eating in town, up and down, all around.

dixiehack likes this.
  9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Pure-D racer.

To his rest.

10. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Cale Yarborough vs. the Allisons was the stuff of legend as well as the three-way battle for supremacy on the track between Yarborough, Petty and David Pearson. (A young Darrell Waltrip made it a Big Four later on.) (I also rooted for Pearson as a kid and would've worn his merch if there had been such a thing.)

The races at Texas World Speedway in College Station on ABC's Wide World of Sports might as well have been at Daytona or Talladega to me.

Draft saved Draft deleted