1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SE in the Smoky Mountains

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Sevierville editor, Sep 5, 2007.

1. Sevierville editor

Sevierville editor New Member

The Mountain Press, the daily newspaper in Sevier County -- home to the Smokies, Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge -- needs a sports editor. Our emphasis here is local, generally from high schools down, although we follow University of Tennessee athletics in Knoxville 30 miles away, as well as our Double A minor league affiliate of the Cubs. Our sports editor has to be strong in writing skills with a good grasp of grammar and style usage, able to paginate and produce bright interesting pages, take photos and plan coverage. It’s a two-person department with stringers during football season. We have full AP wire. Knowledge and experience with InDesign a plus – we are switching from Quark this month with new I-Macs for all paginators. This is NOT an entry level position. We need a professional with experience and a love of community sports and features. While I understand this position is not as glamorous or attractive as Bama beat writer or SE of The Atlanta Constitution, it is a fun place to work and a chance to be creative and fulfilled. The pay for the right person is on the north side of $25K. E-mail resumes, references and samples (in Word or Acrobat only) to Editor Stan Voit, svoit@themountainpress.com. You also can mail materials to P.O. Box 4810, Sevierville, TN 37864. The deadline to receive applications is Sept. 17.

2. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Plus, all the go-kart racing, miniature golf and mountain-water taffy you can handle! ;)

3. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

Seriously? Then I'm in.

4. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Mountain-water taffy?

5. The north side of $25K .... hmmmm... should I be afraid or very afraid?

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Very, very afraid. Most of Tennessee is cheap living, Sevier County is not.

7. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

I really have no idea re: the taffy ... they sell the shit all over the place down there. That, the minigolf and the go-karts are pretty much all I remember from my trip to that area.

That and all the godforsaken tourist traffic a soul could bear.

Still, the Smokies are gorgeous.

8. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I've heard of salt-water taffy.

I just can't imagine what the mountain water would do to make the taffy all that more enjoyable.

9. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I have nothing to offer on this job, but I almost lost all my fingers to frost-bite when i stopped at one of those go-kart tracks during ski trip years ago. Took a coupla days before I got all the feeling back. Then someone told me I shoulda worn gloves ....

10. Editude

Editude Active Member

Sell us on the job and not how it's not some other job. Yeesh. Where did the grownups go?

11. Yawn

Yawn New Member

North side of $25,000:

$25,500.

And to think I love the Smoky Mountains. Are there still plenty of hillbilly huts in those Tennessee hills?

12. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Oh come on Yawn, you know it's at least $25,001 ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted