1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SF Chron, SJ Mercury News fire Sharks beat reporters

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Clerk Typist, Jul 5, 2007.

1. boots

boots New Member

The cutbacks aren't ending. I think people are going to see a big change in the way football both pro and college, will be covered over the next few months.

2. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

His MO, I know quite well. I know people at all five papers in SoCal and work with many of them, so I know what they deal with and what awaits the Bay Area.

I did not know, however, the Richard Scudder angle. He's the guy behind Scudder Investments, I believe. So the answer to my earlier questions is "all of the above."

Still, that's a hefty amount of debt to pack on, any way you figure.

3. Editude

Editude Active Member

I've yet to find a situation where sharing resources helps anything but the bottom line.

4. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

Exactly correct. That's ALL it's about.
    Really, are the SoCal beats better served with, basically, four beat writers (LANG, LAT, OCR, PE) as opposed to seven or eight? Makes for a less crowded time in Grady Little's office, sure, but other than that ...

5. LATimesman

LATimesman Member

It's not just Singleton, of course. The Mercury News' previous editor, hired by Knight Ridder and now in Cleveland, started the Bay Area beat sharing with the then-sister KR paper in Contra Costa. She thought it was great that the Merc had no one covering the Golden State Warriors for years, instead relying on Contra Costa's beat writer.

Draft saved Draft deleted