1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should I meet with my editor to try to improve my motivation?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mr. X, Sep 11, 2024.

1. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

I'm in an editor wondering if I should be spending so much time writing and what the point is to the writing I do.

I don't get any writing days. I work five editing shifts a week but do get a half-hour (or sometimes an hour) off each day to write.

The reasons I write include thinking it will help the company, plus it is enjoyable and can open doors for me. There are also some things I can write about better than anyone else.

(I can't say too much about the company other than all we do is write and we don't have a print product.)

However, I am now wondering what the point of this is. I don't know how much this helps me and not sure how it helps the company, so I want to ask the editor about this and if he can say anything to increase my motivation.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Never a bad idea to discuss improving your performance with an editor, supervisor, boss etc. It shows you care. They might have ideas, or at least take a greater interest in your work.

And I have been a person who would shy away from talking to supervisors for most of my work life. I always figured if there was a problem, they'd let me know. But Pat Casey, former Oregon State baseball coach had a great quote about how most players just want to be left alone, those that want to be better, want to be coached, those that want to be great, want the truth.
    You aren't going to get where you want to go, unless you have a concrete idea where you are at right now. (That last part is mine.)

Draft saved Draft deleted