1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Spammy auto-redirect

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Rusty Shackleford, Jan 13, 2015.

1. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

2. Jeff

Jeff Administrator Staff Member

That is not supposed to be happening--someone figured out how to slip some malware into adsense.

Give me a sec and I'll try to block that domain from running ads on here using the adsense control panel.

Also--thanks for grabbing the URL. I can't act on these reports without urls, so it's super helpful.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2015
    bigpern23 and Vombatus like this.
  3. Rusty Shackleford

Were you able to find a solution? It has started happening on other sites, and a Google search seems to reveal it has something to do with site advertising and java. Just curious what you found.

4. Jeff

I blocked a number of domains that a friend of mine sent me because they were doing similar redirects on his forum. A number of other forum owners I know have reported similar issues. Unfortunately there's not much else I can do.

As you said, it's likely a fairly specific combination of ad tag, browser version, java version, and OS that creates the vulnerability, so it wouldn't surprise me if Google can only play whack-a-mole on the bad domains until the underlying issue in java/os/browser gets patched.

I suspect Google will get their act together in the next few weeks. The redirect issue was first reported in Google's adsense support forum in late November, but didn't seem to affect many sites, and no action seemed to happen on Google's end. But the malware/spammers are quickly picking up steam, which is a good thing because it means the big G will pay more attention and actually do something about it. Versus if it was just an infrequent issue it'd be lower on their priority list.

It is a bit weird though--Adsense is the one network that's really being hit hard, but the other networks use relatively similar tags, so they likely have the same vulnerability. They're just not being exploited for some reason.

5. Rusty Shackleford

It's happening again. Am i the only person its affecting here? Maybe it's me.

6. Jeff

Sigh. I thought it was handled.

No, it's not just you--although it only seems to affect a small number of folks. A number of other forum owners I know are getting hit with it on their sites too. And they're reporting it's no longer just Adsense, it's now happening on other ad networks too.

I need to figure out if this is Adsense or OpenX (the other ad network I'm running right now). I've disable Adsense entirely on the site, so if it's showing up it's coming from OpenX.

@Rusty Shackleford is it still happening for you?
    Are you on your phone perchance? What browser? (feel free to PM or email support@sportsjournalists.com if you'd rather keep that data private)

7. Rusty Shackleford

Yeah, i'm on my phone when i have these problems. Though this current visit seems to be ok. Been on about five minutes with no problems.

Thanks for taking so much effort to look into this.

8. Rusty Shackleford

And upon a later visit... It has returned. I've gotten much faster at hitting the stop button in Chrome!

9. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Had this happen to me just now in a thread.

10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Had this happen earlier this afternoon. Jeff, I sent you a PM with the details.

11. Jeff

Thanks guys.

I've been away from the computer this afternoon babysitting my daughter and a friend's kid, and we've got evening plans with friends, so I won't be able to get to this until late tonight.

Just to set expectations, this may take a few days to get it all cleaned up. I've never tried to block domains with OpenX and don't know how fast they are.

12. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

FYI - when I'm on my phone, the site keeps sending me to the App Store to download Lyft.

Draft saved Draft deleted