1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

sports copy editor, paginator, Vineland, N.J.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by boots, Dec 18, 2006.

1. boots

boots New Member

The Daily Journal, a six-day-a-week community newspaper in Vineland, N.J., seeks an experienced sports copy editor and paginator with an eye for detail to fill a key role in our evolving newsroom. We seek an aggressive editor with solid spelling and grammar skills who can craft strong headlines. Candidates should have a foundation in both copy editing and page design. QuarkXPress proficiency is required. The ideal candidates also will have an interest in copy editing and design for non-sports sections, which will be a plus as we make the transition to a universal desk. Candidates must be willing to move to our coverage area; residency is a requirement, as it should be for any local paper that is truly serious about covering its community. We are the dominant news and information source in a competitive growth market in southwestern New Jersey’s scenic farm belt. At a time when the newspaper industry is struggling to find its way, we are a paper with a vision and plan for success. Interested journalists should send their resumes and clips via e-mail to Local Desk Editor Jason Alt at jalt@thedailyjournal.com.

2. Keep in mind this is a Gannett shop.

3. boots

boots New Member

And that is being kind.

4. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

I would be especially wary of the "transition to a universal desk." In my experience (limited though it may be) news, sports and features tend to work best when kept separate.

5. Yes Boots, that is definitely being kind.

6. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Can't be as bad as the things y'all have said about Norwich.

And universal desks work when the right people are hired. Personally, I would love to work on a universal desk, since my interests go beyond putting together an NBA roundup.

Draft saved Draft deleted